Painting spoons

Before you consider those factors take time to get a good handle on the undercoating and preparation of the base  metal  of the blanks because if it is not effective all the other stuff will be fruitless.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. I'm trying the enamel. Not impressed with the fumes. Picked up some water based to try this weekend. Also messing with the powders. Not sure if I need a base coat. Sprayed soke lures and its taking multiple coats to cover the lure. Trying the dip method next for hopefully a better coat. The powders definitely produce a nice finish.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I can't help you on which paint to use, but I am going to clear mine with Dick Nite S81 topcoat. It was made for this and it is what they use to coat their spoons. I am going to try painting mine with Createx water based paints.

Water based paints like createx don't work for that application. Even if it sticks a little it will easily get melted by your clear coat whether lacquer or enamel.

Had a bad reaction between my base coat and top coat yesterday. Back to the drawing board. Looked fine when I sprayed it, but was pretty disappointed when I checked them this morning. The top coat raised the base coat and I could scratch it off with my finger nail. Trying some new combos today. I really like the powders but I can't get the detail that the air brush offers. Trial and error. Thats how you learn right.? Thanks for the info from everyone. I'll keep trying. Winter project. Lol.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

CSI has an epoxy that can be thinned with their thinner.

I used createx and dipped the blank in the thinned epoxy once I was done. Pretty darn tuff. You must experiment in the ratios. I was doing small stuff and found I had to clear out the holes on the blank before the epoxy was finally set.

These are all powder coated, then I added tape. Ice tried the air brush with the powder and it sucks. I use heating tape then sprinkle on. Toaster oven finishes the job

silverfoxcharters.net

WOW, those are awesome Vince, are the colors on the side tape also?, who's blanks did you use? I've been kicking around the idea of making my own. Just something different to try when the hunting season comes to a end. Thanks for any feedback. PAP