Canadian Classified

rick99

Hi Lou.

Please consider a Canada classified section. It is difficult for us Canadians to buy anything from US as shipping and duties make it too complicated and costly. Not to mention the bad exchange, it's frustrating to see all this good stuff for sale but we can't participate.

To save on duties and shipping you ask the seller to ship with USPS and in most of the time the parcel just go through the customs without any charge.

As for the exhange unfortunatly there is no way to escape this; I know very well I own a camp upstate NY and I'm a Canadian; so everything is costing me +30%

They this this to promote the Canadian exportation but listning to the news this morning our exportation is not doing well at all. Since the free trade with Mexico the uS industries save more buying and manufaturing in that country then buying from us.

Good time for a US citizen to buy Canadian boat in Canada; no tx, no duties an you save 30%. Princecraft is a excellent example; you can compare a Princecraft to a Lund anytime. I know because I use to own a Princecraft and a Lund. I'm going back to Princecraft.

http://www.princecraft.com/us/en/products/Fishing-Boats/2016/Platinum-SE-Series/Platinum-SE-186.aspx

Hi Rick - I'm giving it some thought.  After reading Wallyandre's post, do you still feel the extra forum is warranted?  I'm open to giving it a try and seeing if we can get some more Canadian participation.  Could you help me spread the word if we do open it up?  What I am leaning towards is maybe going with an extra tag prefix that states "For Sale - USA" or "For Sale - Canada".  This way we keep all the for sale items in one forum but give members an easy way to filter on them if they only want to see Canadian items for sale or only US items for sale.  I'm sure there are many willing to buy and sell to both sides of the border so this solution would keep everything in one forum still but give members the option to filter some out if they wish.

Thanks -

Chad

Hi Chad- is this extra tag something the seller would need to identify that they're in US or Canada. I think you definitely need a Cad classified. It's too complicated and now costly to work out the logistics of shipping to Cad. Even US sellers have commented it's not worth their while. I would definitely spread the word if you did something like this. Would also offer Spoonpullers a little competition.

Unfortunately that is the way it is. US is biggest market in world, folks know they will sell their stuff local and don't want hassles of selling cross border. I prefer to buy local too, takes for ever for stuff to go cross border through customs. Sometimes gets denied too. It would be a good play for LOU to offer Cad Classified maybe more Canadians will sign up.

I don't understand why a seller won't ship to Canada! There is millions of parcels that are ship to Canada every year. I buy and sale fom both countries and I have no problem. If the buyer want's to pay for the shipping what's the problem?

For me, I only ship USPS because thats whats convenient for me. The nearest fedex/ups pickup is two towns away and almost 10 miles from me. USPS does offer Canadian shipping but has some down sides.

#1 Cost. Its through the roof. Ontario canada is obviously closer than California but its cheaper to ship to cali. Like a third of the cost cheaper

#2 no tracking. USPS does not allow for packing tracking in canada. In the us i know when and where everything was delivered but in canada nothing. 

If the usps would offer better shipping arrangements i would ship to our northern neighbors in a second. money is money!

As for the cost if the buyer is willing to pay it's no problem and for my part I don't find that too expensive if you choose the regular shipping and you add the confirmation (tracking) and I can tell you since the last 2 years the tracking with USPS even in Canada the tracking is excellent.

With Fedex and UPS it's a lot more costly and on top, the receiver has to pay the broekage fees and the minimum is $50. For me it's USPS with confirmation or nothing. Shipping has become expensive even for our own country; even if the price of gazoline went down the cies forgot to lower the shipping cost.

Edited by wallyandre

I'm leaning towards creating a "For Sale - USA" and a "For Sale - Canada" tag as the solution.  I don't think I want to create another separate forum all together.  I like keeping our total number of forums where it is currently if possibly.  I can work on it this week for us and we will see how you guys like it.  

Thanks again!

Chad

I think it would be a good thing!! If the Canadians were able to show some of there walleye gear to the guys in the USA. They were ahead of their time with walleye gear years back before the eyes were so sought after in the US. We always bought gear up there before getting to the lake that the float plane was on. There are so many little one man band stores up there and their products were handed down through the generations, so these are proven products or they would have gone to the way side long ago. As for getting it across the border via. Mail well that I don't know how that will pan out, especially with all this terrorist crap has sent the shipping costs through the roof!! Off the subject when I was way younger once you got to or above Maniwaki there was little English spoke, but I remember stopping at little restaurants that were loaded with fishing lures near the check out stations. They were in little packages like worm harnesses come in we loaded up with their lures and they for the most part out performed what we had in the US. Untill the jig head came to town. Hope this pans out for the both of us.

Alright Rick - Christmas came early... give it a try now.  You should see a "For Sale : CAN" and a "For Sale : USA" options now.  Clicking on either of those will also filter the forum down to just those listings.

Thanks again for suggestion and I hope you like it.

Chad

I don't understand why a seller won't ship to Canada! There is millions of parcels that are ship to Canada every year. I buy and sale fom both countries and I have no problem. If the buyer want's to pay for the shipping what's the problem?[/quote

There is no way of using a tracking number supplied thru usps. Once it hits border there's no system to track it. If you use PayPal that's what they rely on for recourse if any.

So a buyer pays me via PayPal. I ship and supply tracking. Two weeks down the road buyer states he has never received package. PayPal will automatically refund money because there's no proof it got there. So out item and monies

Just my two cents

Excuse-me but you're wrong about the tracking. I use it multiple of times and it's an excellent tracking. It's a agreement between USPS and Canada Post. I kne I'm now retire but it was one of the project that my team implemented with the USPS guys and it's the same for a shipper that sent a package from Canada to US.

If I think about this the next time I buy something in the US I will get screen shot of my tracking and showed you. The last thing that I sold on this site was Lowrance 12" Gen2 sent by Canada Post with tracking to a buyer in the state if I remember it was in New-Jersey.

Merry Christmas!

Edited by wallyandre

Hi Chad - I checked it out. I usually use the LOU app and noted that the USA or Cad flag doesn't show in the app. I checked it using web browser and noted the for sale USA though I couldn't find any Canadian ads also how do I filter to only see Canadian or USA ads?

Hi RIck -

The tagging system is not available on the app.  You will have to view the regular website to use it.  There hasn't been any new Canadian items for sale yet since we implemented the system so that is why you are not seeing any.  You should be the first one to post something.  If you want to filter the ads, all you have to do is click on the USA or CAN icon next to the topic.  That will filter everything to either USA or CANADIAN.  The default view is still to see everything at once.

Thanks -

Chad