New bird dog puppy

That is cool! If I neglect one and leave it on the floor for too long, Frick will knock it over and drink it also. He gets it all, He likes yuengling. I see Duke is a blue ribbon dog all the way. Hope he gets the ribbon at the next trial. Nice dog.

He's doing pretty good. I try to keep the beer drinking to a minimum because it gives him raunchy gas :puke: .

We got out and did some field work early in the am (despite the heat) over the weekend. He's starting to gain some independence and really search for birds which is nice to see. Were definitely ready for the season to start so he can get some real world experience.  Were gonna work on introducing a blind, decoys, and duck calls this week so that's out of the way. We'll be in Ogdensburg for the northern duck opener with some great guys so that'll go a long way towards his education.

And then October 16 were off to northern Maine to get (hopefully) lots and lots of wild bird contact. I'm sure he'll get dusted a few times but there's no better teacher of bird dogs than a wild ruff.

That's the "I was having fun look, what the hell is the matter with you making me sit". Get some pics after first blood on the outings you have planned. I'm sure Dutch will be fine with minimal coaxing or just watching another work. No wounded divers is all. Almost lost my cousins lab as a pup going under trying to get it. I swam out and got her, I was lucky, she's retired, almost 13 now. She goes 1 or 2 times a year if she's at the door when we're loading up. Get some pics and post em' of the 1st day ducking. Good luck. I'm sure he'll get it quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on Noodles the rescue dog. She has rounded out as a nice dog. She is absolute gonzo for squirrels and rabbits and has even soft pointed birds. I have begun training her as a squirrel dog to sit at my side until I send her after a critter. She chases at breakneck speed and launches herself up the tree. On prompting she returns to my side til the next one comes by. I have never squirrel hunted but this weekend I will be looking up squirrel recipes

Good luck trying a squirrel dog. Mine won't stay still long enough. He will hide to break up a turkey flock on command, squirrel is chase on the brain for Frick. I let the snow get deep, fill up the bird feeder, let 2 or 3 get on it, wake my dog up, show him, open the door & he'll bring one back. Good for Noodles on the interest and patience for that. Glad it's working out well. Crock pot filled with spaghetti sauce. Your buddy won't know what it is unless you tell him.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

its cool to see dogs put the pieces together and learn things like sitting in the woods at your side eventually puts some fur in her mouth. Were sharpening up a bit before the October 1st Duck Opener. Maybe well get a chance to go north for grouse the weekend before. hopefully the next pictures will be of birds instead of bumpers. Hope everybody is excited and getting ready for the upcoming seasons. and keep the frick killin those woodchucks hahapost-150397-0-97896100-1472833748_thumb.jpgpost-150397-0-43330200-1472833771_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I can point you towards a couple of really good kennels if you want. The biggest problem is that if you want one (at least one with credentials) you're probably looking at at least a year wait. Maybe even a year and a half. It's totally worth it in my opinion. I'm all ready on a list for another one.

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I had him on a woodcock two nights ago. He handled it pretty well. He got a little bit close but the bird held until I got there.  He's starting to lose all of the hair around his eyes from nosing through brush so hes in the right stuff. Just have to get him on a grouse. also starting to see a lot more intensity in his points.

post-150397-0-32655000-1474470804_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

well it was a slow weekend, but we managed to get Dutch 5 retrieves.

Everything finally came together and he did very well tracking, marking, and retrieving. He didn't make any noise in the blind either. He even recovered one cripple that I never would have found without him. We did go out for grouse and woodcock but it drizzled most of the weekend. No upland birds yet but were just getting started.

Nice to see all the time spent training pay off.

post-150397-0-21787400-1475502889_thumb.pngpost-150397-0-17670100-1475502900_thumb.pngpost-150397-0-37708900-1475502907_thumb.png

Nice job Mr boater, Nice to see him happy. For all the folks that like to do private eye work, Im assuming you were out for the youth weekend.

Im going to upstate new york for the opener of ducks for a few days and some walleye on the st lawrence, cast and blast weekends are my favorite.

Starting doing my homework on a dog, wish me luck.

Pm me if you dont mind , how much was yours?????

the southeastern zone opened Saturday. My parents farm is in that zone and that's where I hunted over the weekend. Its only a 10 day early season and so far its been aweful slow. The northern zone opens the 8th and I believe ill be heading up there to a buddys to hunt ducks and grouse as well.

Ill send you a P.M. about the dog.