Looking for suggestions on Brown Trout trolling

Hi all,

Me and 2 buddies will be towing my boat out from NH on April 14th.

We are all quite versed in trolling for Salmon and lakers on Winnipesaukee and Champlain, but have never taken the boat on to Ontario for this sort of a trip. I know Pulaski well from river fishing, but not boat fishing.

My plan is currently to launch at Mexico and head North to fish in front of Grindstone, the Salmon, and any other little bodies of water that dump in to the lake in that general area.

Would that be a good course of action, or should we head south towards the power plant?

We have all the gear needed, just need to know if what we are doing is right.

Also wanted to know, do you just flat line your stick baits or spoons on mono and fluro shot way back, or would 2 or 3 color lead setups also work with long fluro leaders?

PM's are always appreciated if you don't want to give out too much information.

Thanks in advance!!!!

-SLF

I think the direction may depend on where you can find any temp increase (even a degree or two can make the difference). Sometimes they are in VERY shallow so boards can be the ticket and the shallower the water usually the warmer it may be in the Spring. As bazooka Joe said a split shot or two can get things under the surface a bit and ifplaced a couple or three ft above the lure they can keep the grass and debris from your lure itself too. I'd be running lines further back than usual away from turbulence and motor noise etc.and the use of a little lighter than usual lines or leaders (8-10 lb test) fluoro leaders. A one color would work fine and possibly even run off the downrigger 5 ft down or so  and 50-75 ft back depending on water depth. If the power plant is running there may be a temp break near there and it could be a "magnet" for the browns. If there is colored water I'd be running in and out of the outside edge of it also. Start with a combination of sticks and spoons and decide from there whatever is working. Get an early AM start and move deeper and toward bottonm as the sun comes higher.

Edited by Sk8man