electrical issue

tlr426

So I pulled the ultimate bone head move and hooked my starting battery to my deep cycle battery through a perko switch negative post to positive. When I flipped the switch it obviously created some fireworks at the batteries. None of the wires melted but the lead Around the treminals was damaged. So I got a new battery hooked it up and nothing. No power... so I figure the switch took a hit and went main feed to the new battery and still nothing. Question is what did I f*@! Up? I am sure there is a main fuse some where but I don't know where to look. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The motor is a yamaha ox66 200hp on a 2002 sea pro. I will be calling my mechanic tomorrow but I am worried that I did some major damage.

should be a main breaker under the hood. Look around to where the wiring box is on the powerhead.

Boat should have a fuse or two on the accessory side. Make sure all the electrical units work before launching.

Like the bilge pump, horn, lights radio..

Everything should be fine if all protected properly. As long as you switched it right off...

Should probably take it in either way....

Hey Stuff happens.

Thanks I got the power off in less then 5 seconds probably but it felt like 5 minutes. I check the fuse that I have on the inline. Equipment and they seemed fine.

Edited by tlr426

I think that your engine and all the other electronic parts stayed out of this short circuit. Probably your Perko switch is fried. Try and connect the battery directly while disconnecting both the positive and the negative on the Perko. Just a direct connection as if the Perko does not exist. You may get lucky that way.

Edited by rolmops

I think that your engine and all the other electronic parts stayed out of this short circuit. Probably your Perko switch is fried. Try and connect the battery directly while disconnecting both the positive and the negative on the Perko. Just a direct connection as if the Perko does not exist. You may get lucky that way.

I thought the same thing unfortunately no dice. I did findeed a pdf online for the motor. Worst case I can trim the motor manually it looks like and get it to my mechanic. Hopefully though I just popped a fuse or breaker

should be a main breaker under the hood. Look around to where the wiring box is on the powerhead.

Boat should have a fuse or two on the accessory side. Make sure all the electrical units work before launching.

Like the bilge pump, horn, lights radio..

Everything should be fine if all protected properly. As long as you switched it right off...

Should probably take it in either way....

Hey Stuff happens.

X2-  Been there done that!  it should be like a fuse in your car only bigger/heavy duty maybe under a box cover on the side of the engine, you need to find it.  Good luck!

Nothing. Nothing to where, the engine (eight gauge to solenoid), or fuse panel... Do you have a multimeter? A load of troubles may have occurred when a direct short happens at battery while connected to the engine and boat systems, especially anything ON at the time.. from switch contacts, fuses to engine alternator damage. As far as engine fuses, other than the ignition to engine solenoid many outboards don't have one.

Don't give up just yet. The fact that you get nothing at all may point to the cables coming from your battery. Try and remove them altogether and grab some jumper cables instead. Hook them up and see what happens. Next would be trying to bypass the ignition switch.

Edited by rolmops

#2 in the parts list is a 5amp glass fuse if it blows you will have no power to the motor or trim.Look up your year and model # to find where it is located on your motor.You can get the same fuse at any auto parts store.Every outboard I have ever owned has a inline fuse like this.It's best to no where it is and keep a spare in the glove box.

Well half way there was able to locate the fuse on the motor and have power to the motor now. Everything seems to be functioning on the back end. Still have to figure out the dash and all the lights. But so far nothing seems melted. Hopefully I got lucky

Hi all, Great job (link) ..better than nothing but this guy needs a trace from the solenoid forward as well as a schematic of his particular boat's electrical system particularly ANY switches that may have been ON at the time of the battery-cross connect short.

Thanks for all the help. With the warm weather I was able to locate the other blown fuse and I have checked all the wires for any damage. All equipment seems to be working well. Hopefully I got lucky here. Just a battery two fuses and the Perko switch. If the weather holds I may get to splash down this Saturday. Just in time for the cold front.

Edited by tlr426