Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BSmaster

Possums and Ticks - who knew?

Pulled the first tick of the season off my daughter yesterday, and had two more climbing on me.  Going to be a rough year, especially for spring gobbler season.  Looks like I should get a few opossums!

Yeah it's tough for me to kill a opossum when I see them for that reason. I don't like them because they get into turkey nests but eat ticks.

I agree.  It is quite the conundrum.  Is the enemy of my enemy my friend?

I wonder if the tree huggers go thru this confusion when the deer demolish their shrubs and gardens.

Yeah it's tough for me to kill a opossum when I see them for that reason. I don't like them because they get into turkey nests but eat ticks.

you honestly think the 5-10 or so opossum you probably come in contact with and could kill a year REALLY makes a dent in the turkey population?

Yes absolutely! An opossum can take out multiple nests, usually 12-14 eggs at a time. When it's a wet spring they track the hens easier by scent trailing them to their nest. They, skunks and raccoons are the biggest killers of turkeys.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Actually crows are the biggest predator of turkey eggs. along with possums raccoons snakes fox and coyotes. The average mortality rate from the egg to flyup after hatching is 80%. After that each years mortality is 50%. Tuff being a turkey ain't it 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.