Coming to Olcott

I'm a hardcore Erie walleye fisherman that is coming up for July/August King fishing, I've done it a few times with a friend on his boat but I'm bringing my boat up for some action.

Found this site and figured I'd pick some brains to make the trip successful.

I plan on running a 5 rod spread, I just picked up 2 Vector riggers, also will be running 2 dispey's I have 47lc with 40 pnd power pro. I plan on spooling up rigger reels with 30 pound Maxima or Ande. I'm also going to put on some Mason redicore on a 57AD.

Will 40 pound power pro on the dispy's work okay as well as the 30 pound maxima on the rigger reels.

What pound balls should I use? I have 8 for walleye but I know 12's will probably be better.

I plan on running spin doc's with fly's and spoons.

Anything I'm missing or can the ocott winlson guys give a starter some tips??

Thanks guy

Kevin

kevin

It all sounds good but you might want to put 30# SS wire on the dipsys because I am pretty sure the fleas will drive you nuts on that power pro. You also should spend a lot of time reading posts on this site because there is a ton of great info from a lot of great fisherman.

Okay I knew the fleas might have been an issue, I've ran wire on my buddy's boat with dipsy rods and twi tips on them. I suppose I can buy two more dipsy reels to put wire on them. What brand of wire should I get, I know there is stainless and copper, 7 strand. Can you post a link to the exact stuff I should buy, do I fill the whole spool or should I use some sort of backing, what kind of backing.

Thanks again guys, the help is appeciated.

If anyone needs walleye advise I can help you out there.

Kevin,

Do you have a slip in Olcott or just launching. Most LOU guys are on 68. Listen to these guys and get some SS Marlin, run with dipsy, spin doc and flies ( hammer, green krinkle). With steel your depth is about 50% minus 10%. If you are back 100 feet your down about 45 feet.

good luck,

Howie

I have a 21 ft Ranger 621 walleye boat so I will just be pulling the boat after fishing and putting it back on the trailer, my buddy who fishes Olcott goes up there every year twice a year for who knows how long will be there with me, he's renting a house right around the corner from the launch.

I talked to another salmon fishin buddy and he said run the malin 30 pound as well, I'm going to pick his brain on some riggins specifics for the dipsy's, I have a spare set of dipsey rods I'll just put twili tips on them.

Using your method the wire will run about 5% deeper than braid 103 back on a 3 1/2 setting will be it down about 40 ft.

I know the greens, white, blues and a mixture of all work well on the flies.

Any color spin docs that work better than others? What type of flies, my buddies run Howie's but I know there are alot more out there. Any suggestions on brands?

I'm thinking about buying a probe what is the most popular, some of my buddies like the Cannon.

Thanks again,

Spin Doctors - Crush Glow - Mtn Dew

Flies - A-tom-Mik - Hammer, Green Krinkle, Little Boy Blue, Mtn dew

You also may want to look at smart fish - A-Tom-Mik has them

I am sure everyone has their favorites but these are some I got off this site and they produced.

As others said,wire,wire and more wire.

We keep the boat,and fish out of Olcott,and most of the times wire is our hottest rods.

Put 1000 yards of straight 30lb wire on a Tekota,or Daiwa line counter,and you're good to go.We run malin,and even wire from Mcmaster Carr,and both produce well.

Also, don't overlook leadcore,we run it off our big boards all season,and it accounts for a lot of nice kings.Plus it's nice to give a rookie the leadcore when a big fish is on it.It builds up their muscles.(LOL).

Our best wire dipsy setups have been the big dipsy with a ring set on 2-1/2.

Our best line lengths have been 140 to 225 back.

Best flashers have been E-Chips and Spin Docs in Mountain dew,Green,and white.Greens with the glow tape were best,and white works good with the sun up high.

Although we tie our own flies,our best patterns have been colors like Atommiks Hammer,Mirage,Little boy blue,#96 and greens.

Double aqua is also a hot producer,my buddy runs it 98 percent of the time.

We mostly run spoons off the leadcore,and have boated nice kings in july and august with ten colors out,and also with five colors with 2 to 4 oz weights hooked on the core with a rubber band.

Olcott's a great port to fish out of,the people are great,and the fshing is usually super.have a good trip

Thanks for the tips on the colors, much appreciated I will get those for sure.

yesterday I picked up 2 47's for the wire (ordering 30 pnd maline 1000ft) and a 57 I picked up a spool of Mason Redicore in 27lb to put on it.

Do most successfull guys run the spin docs and flies off the riggers then spoons on the wire and leadcore?

Thanks again for all the help.

Most of these guys run spin docs on steel and now on copper, spoons on riggers and leadcore. I like running echips and spin docs on riggers that are down 70-120' but you can try anything you want. Once again do not count out Smart Fish. Yankee Troller is big on these and they work well.

Good Luck see ya in the water

Howie - Get-R-Done - slip A10 stop by sometime. I will be back in Olcott next week.

Thanks for the link, I'll pick up a couple of those.

Alot of my walleye buddies who run riggers alot like Black's Releases. What are some of the most popular Salmon rigger releases? I know I'm getting the black's for walleye do I need another set for Salmon or should I just keep the same ones and tighten them up a little bit?

I ordered some 15 pound balls one of my buddies said the heavier the better.

Another buddy said Moonshine spoons are good early and late in the day, do you guys run them?

Blacks will work just fine. Just tighten them down. Many spoons work well. In my opinion check out attheoak.com for the hottest spoon colors. I did real well out of Wilson this Spring on many diferent spoons. I run mostly Northern King and Dreamweaver spoons, but all of the other brands will work. There is a lot of green water up west near Olcott, so glows work well throughout the day. If you get high sun go to your silver and or copper stuff. 15lb balls will work great! fish the marks!

I plan on buying 7 or so spin docs in some suggested colors I found on this site and through a couple friends, should I get some dodgers/flashers as well. When I fished with a buddy off Olcott we only ran spin docs with fly's and spoons. Can I get away with just running the doc's?

Thanks

Most of these guys run spin doctors, smart fish and e-chips. I am sure there are a few boats running some flashers but not many. Most of your fish will be caught on spin doctors and flies. I use all three myself and the majority of my fish are on spin doctors. Best colors for me this year have been chrome, mountain dew, green/chrome and NBK.

good luck

I plan on ordering directly from them, probably sometime next week, August 20th can't come soon enough, it's a pain just trying to get all my gear together, first time salmon fishing on my own boat with my own stuff. I think the fishing will be the easiest part....cheaper too