Not again

I’ve been fortunate to catch a few nice sized pike - tigers this season, However I’ve run into a frustrating phenomenon. It only happens with larger fish in the ~ 15+ to 8 pounds range.                                                                                      

As the jerkbait comes within 6’ to 3’ of the boat the fish seems to come out of nowhere and take a whack at it, (sometimes really nailing it). My problem is that I don’t always set the hook in time since the fish is so close and the whole thing is such a startle. Then off swims the fish after a short sweet battle. Anyone else been there done that? I’m sure it doesn’t help that I use totally 1.5 to 3 oz. jerkbaits. A reality check thanks guys, happened both today and yesterday.   

My fault NPike - we lost those a couple hours of posts when I had to do server restore yesterday.  My apologies - wasn't too happy with hosting company on this one.  Will be looking into alternative options moving forward.

My fault NPike - we lost those a couple hours of posts when I had to do server restore yesterday.  My apologies - wasn't too happy with hosting company on this one.  Will be looking into alternative options moving forward.

Thank you Blue Eye at least I'm not seeing things.