Water in drive bellows

john1947

Hi last year a water line coupler for my splashdown broke and filled up my motor well enough to stall the motor.I pumped it out and the boat ran and no more water when i came in.The boat never took on water before.Last week i pulled the drive and found water in my drive bellows,no damage to my drive luckly.There is a vent on top of the gimbal bearing and wondered if the water could come in there.Hate to change the bellows if they are still good(6 years Old)

If anyone has had experience in this id appreciate any help.

alpha 1 mercruser

Thanks

john

You should pull the outdrive and run your fingers all around the bellows feeling and prodding for any cracks in it. You can do a little bit of the same on the outside with the dive on, but you really should pull it and inspect it from the inside out. There is a small chance the your shift bellows let go and is dumping water into your main chamber. At any rate the water in there will wash the grease out of your gimbal bearing and wreck your U joints. No there is no vent holes , only grease fittings. Many people store them in the winter with the drive up, that is a no no as it puts undue pressure on one side of the bellows while it freezes, resulting in premature cracking of the bellows.