Coyotes and Fox 2016/2017

whaler1

Just had a pretty red coyote in the backyard food plot. Wife saw a big gray the other night. As much as I look forward to bow season I can't wait to seeing some fur fly!!!! Killed a dozen (ish) yotes last year and I bet we get as many this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• 4 weeks later...

That sound of a pack of yotes screaming in the evening when you're climbing out of your tree stand is down right eerie!

I'm about 45 miles SE of Pittsburgh & have been using Cable Restraints since it's been legal. Done quite well once you catch on to the tricks. Only got 2 my 1st year. But have increased it every year since then, ending with 11 last year. Nothing like outsmarting those damn dogs.

Been seeing quite a few lately. Saw a Mum & her 2 pups out the other day. She was probably giving them a teaching lesson. Seen at least 6 or 7 in different areas.

Does anyone else on this site use restraints to trap yotes? Once you get on to it it's really simple to set up. Pretty inexpensive also. For $60-$70 you can have everything you

need to set a dozen restraints.

Trouthunter & Whaler.

I'm not sure how to attach a photo to show you a restraint. I think if you go to You Tube & type in cable restraint there will be video clips you can view.

Basically you're using a cable (about 6' total length) with a built in loop to get the fox & yotes(only thing legal to use restraint on in Pa.)to stick their heads through as

they walk down a deer trail or thru a field. There are limits that the loop can close as to not strangle the animal (then it would be called a snare). This why it's called a

cable restraint. Usually the animal is alive when you check your restraints. You anchor the restraint the same way as you would a trap. The only other piece of equipment you need is an upright. This is usually a piece of heavy gauge wire you stick into the ground & It stands up allowing you to "lay" your restraint on to hold the loop in an upright position.

What's nice about the restraints is 1. set up takes maybe 5 minutes, 2. weight, restraints don't weigh as much as hauling around the same amount of traps, 3. weather doesn't have as much effect on the restraint as a trap. High snow accumulation will affect the restraint, as will freezing rain & high winds, 4. resetting the restraints takes seconds & 5.

Cost of restraints is cheaper than traps.

On the down side restraints are a 1 time use item. If you catch something they're shot. You can reuse certain parts off the restraint again. And, since you're setting deer trails you will catch a deer....eventually. Usually the larger deer can break the release feature(built into each restraint) & escape. But once in a while you will catch a smaller deer that isn't strong enough to break the restraints release. Usually this deer will be dead. As the stop on the restraint is for the neck of a yote or fox, not a deer. But this isn't a frequent occurrence.

I'm not sure if New York allows restraints. I know they're legal in Wisconsin, Missouri & Pa. It's a different take on conventional traps. If you like to trap you'll probalbly like using restraints.

Yeah it is. We had to take a 8 hour class to become certified before we're allowed to set the restraints.

I didn't think it was legal in New York yet. If it happens there let me know & I can pass a few pointers along. But if you trap you pretty much know 95% of what you need to know.

Take care & good luck!

Nice Job! Consistently catching yotes is a feat. Those son of a guns aren't just called wiley because of the cartoon. Last year I had 1 set off the trap, pull on it till he/she got it out of the ground & carried it 100 yards away! Good thing there was snow on the ground or I would never had found the freakin trap.

attachicon.gifIMG_1473633602.514221.jpg

One of my boys missed the guy on the right last winter. He's been around one of our lease properties for a few years. About as big as I have seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

AAHhh this was one of the best threads ever on LOU!!! The other was the deer hunt, that was awesome also, I can't remember who does it or I'd capitalize that also!!. That is the stud of that pack he is huge!! Can't wait to see the fur fly!!!

It's been 2 years now since my best bud passed away from cancer, "my brother" these critters can tell when a critter is sick or weak. Our last hunt together was anything but chilling!! My brother always did the shooting and I did the calling, by mixing mouth calls with the fox pro works pretty good. Our last call my brother did the calling but he wasn't to good with a mouth call so we just used the chicken in distress, me being worried about bro, I didn't get to far away, matter of fact I stayed 1 tree over about 20 yards away. We started calling in the direction of a cranberry bog, when out of the corner of my eye I saw something break the moonlight through the trees, hmm, well maybe it was a deer getting the hell out of there? 5 minutes later I saw the same thing only over by my brother but still 50 yards above him, now I turn around and tune my attention towards this what ever it may be, my brother turns the volume down like we alway do and just sit and wait, curiosity usually kills the cat, when I noticed now it's a coyote coming from behind right on target towards my brother, but I still can't shoot as he lighted across the golf course this dog made his move, towards my brother, very low to the ground but at a steady pace, I freaked the phuck out I knew if I shot it was going to scare the living shyt out of him, but in my mind that dog was locked on my brother and was going to get him, so I pushed the safty off my Benellie 3 1/2" #4 buckshot gun, he was perfectly sideways to me and only 20 yards behind my brother, I had to make this shot count, I squeezed her off and saw the dog litterly fly through the air, and my brother, well I scared the living shyt out of him!! I told him the hole story after he caught his breath and wiped his shorts clean. There's no doubt in my mind that dog smelled or sensed that my brother was a sick man and weak. I also believe that if I would have walked away he might have been attack by that yote, even though we sprayed ourselves down with sent away he still must of had that scent of weakness to that dog, the same way they pick out a weak deer or whatever. That was the last time I was out at night calling. I'm not to sure I'll ever go at night solo again. Call me a pussy or whatever you want but I watched this whole thing happen and if I wasn't there I don't know if I could believe this if someone else would have told me the same thing. Never let your guard down out there at night!! Miss ya bro!! But I still have great memories of ya,!!!