Canandaigua Perch

Ric66

Glad I didn't let the weather forecast keep me from taking the boat out today. It was a beautiful day for fishing in the early morning, overcast and a light wind. Went out about 6:30am and pulled out about 11. Had a great time catching about 40+ perch, a few smallies and a couple nice sunfish. It was a little unnerving motoring through the channel in pitch dark, with some of the reports of low water but I didn't have any problem. Nice to see quite a few boats out there today. Most of the perch were average size but a few could be mistaken for ones you get at Seneca. The only bad thing today that happened to me is one of my rods went swimming. Wouldn't mind it so much but it had a perch on it. Blame it on clumsy hands and trying to fish with three rods at once in the dark. This was going to be my last boat trip of the season but maybe I'll try to get one more in before Old Man winter sets in.

For those of you with a "short fuse" you may wish to avoid perch fishing at the north end of Canandaigua....as happened last year as well there are some of the most inconsiderate guys possible fishing there mixed among the better fishermen.  Several times this season and many times  last season as well boats will cruise sometimes at nearly full speed either right near you, come right in to where you have been fishing with their motor running and spook the fish and then drive off OR more commonly they drive full tilt between you and the shoreline when you are in shallow water so that there is no hope of continuing fishing there. Some of this stuff is purposeful not "accidental" as they look right at you while doing it and they are not just young kids just joy riding - they are experienced but highly discourteous other perch fishermen.  I guess I need to leave my flare gun at home next time out.....too tempting :lol: (just kidding.....but very frustrating)

That happens to us a lot there Les, but I have seen a lot worse in other bodies of water so I guess I am used to it. Unfortunately, a lot of boaters are just not aware of what they are doing. Both of those boating scenarios you mentioned did happen to us the last time we were out. 

Just hope this is not a trend.