Fish hawk

Just a general piece of advice....whether it is your downrigger, depth finder,  a temperature or speed measuring device the effectiveness of it will depend on how skilled you become actually using it. Youtube videos and books are nice for basic familiarization and going with someone who really knows how to use these basic tools can be even more helpful but in this day of the seeking instant answers and instant gratification actual experience on the water is really where you will learn the most important information to be successful. There is no substitute for direct experience for some things and I believe this is one of those situations.  Many of the guys on here could write page after page on all the ins and outs of using the Fishawk based on their own intensive experience out there but it still could be of limited value to you because many of the "nuances" of it  you need to experience and experiment with and they may be the most important pieces of the "puzzle".

Edited by Sk8man

There have been some posts in the past on here about  the Fishawk use and lots of downrigger info and together with the stuff on their website http://www.fishhawkelectronics.com/marine-electronics/fish-hawk-x4d

and any of the Youtube things and it should give you a good sense of where to start once the season rolls around again :) ......

We just received our X4D System yesterday. It was a very large investment for our boat but in my opinion will be worth it if it provides the advantage it advertises. The other variables are of course hands on time with the unit and gaining experience with it. We are willing to learn with this new tool as well as the other gear we purchased this year. The fish hawk was number four on the list of upgrades for our boat this year. The list is rather short LOL but an expensive one ( Electric Down riggers, 9.9 Kicker, New Chart plotter / Sonar, Fish hawk.....) I am just glad we started working on the list at the end of last season. 

Good luck! 

One of the best purchases beside autopilot for my boat.  I have the X4D version - I had the red screen one (the one they changed the next season which kinda ticked me off) and then sold the display and got the newer blue screen one with surface speed added back.  

During a 9 day tournament it helped us put 200 fish in the boat during those 9 days.  A lot of guys were struggling on certain days and we found that 2.7 to 3.1 on the fishhwawk was the secret.  Granted it tends to read a bit faster than other speed systems, but it was definitely faster than we normally run.  We let some people in on the secret and they started catching fish.  With any speed probe, its all about finding what speed works for a given day and then being able to duplicate it over and over again.