Questions

HB2

Hatchery fish have the advantage of winter growth from well water warmed by geothermal conditions that increased their metabolism and growth rates . Wild stream salmon only hatch their eggs in winter cold water that inhibits growth rates and they are more susceptible to predation in the open lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:17 AM, HB2 said:

Yes , but all the fish up there are wild , or at least I think . So that makes our problem , a little more fixable. 

The Creel  survey boats with the big orange bumpers ( what a job, how do I get paid for that ) could say to the SR hatchery ," these guys pounded the kings this year, better grab some extra  eggs so they have some kings to catch in a few years". Could be as simple as that . Maybe they are doing that  already , or I would hope. 

What difference does it make how many Kings are caught in the Lake.  All will reach sexual maturity, and after that all will die, so the overall number in a year class is irrelevant to what is raised in the hatchery, as long as the hatchery gets enough eggs to reach their target, and enough return to the river to spawn in the "wild" to hit the wild card number for natural reproduction.