New guy questions

So guys I need help with the season getting closer daily I'm doing more and more research on what I need. I've got a few questions and I'm sure more will come up as this thread gets going.

1. What color and what kind of lures would you recommend for Trout in fingerlakes (canandaigua seneca cayuga mainly) and for salmon and trout in Ontario.

2. What should I be running for walleye in chataqua and possibly erie and any of those same bodies of water.

I'm looking at running inline planner boards for the smaller lakes and running the planner board and mast systems on the bigger lake. Also have a few dipsy divers.

Going to try and get rigged up for some lead core line also just haven't yet. And possibly downriggers if I can find a set at a cheaper price point (looking at manual riggers).

I appreciate the help in advance. If anyone has anything they are selling that is what I'm looking for feel free to pm me. I try and buy a little bit each week as I can and would like to spend it on stuff that works. Thanks all

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

On Cayuga have good luck with greens for lakers orange and red for bow and LL

Browns seem to like ever color but it's different every day I run green  spin doctor with green fly on wire dipsy with around 250' out for lakers dose good stuff with dots on it are good . Great Lakes Lure company, hunny bee,evil eye, dream wever, are all good Sutton and stinger are good but the finish on them don't last long not worth the money to me I would get a 300 ,500 cooper definitely get yourself some lead core I think you will like the big boards  over inline especially if running copper or lead off them used riggers  all over the internet for a good price.

Edited by darkwater1

On Lake Erie for walleyes we run a segmented lead core program with varying # of colors needed by the depth you are fishing off big planer boards. We use mainly stick baits & the opinions of which ones work best will vary from angler to angler. I use Rapalas, Renoskys, Reef runners & Bandits at different times at different ports. We add riggers later in the summer when they get out to deeper water. Many guys run bottom bouncers with worm harnesses & do well also. You will decide how you like to fish & what techniques work for you. Good Luck & feel free to ask questions at any time. I am no expert but have been known to stumble across a few fish now & then.

Edited by dmd113

On Cayuga have good luck with greens for lakers orange and red for bow and LL
Browns seem to like ever color but it's different every day I run green  spin doctor with green fly on wire dipsy with around 250' out for lakers dose good stuff with dots on it are good . Great Lakes Lure company, hunny bee,evil eye, dream wever, are all good Sutton and stinger are good but the finish on them don't last long not worth the money to me I would get a 300 ,500 cooper definitely get yourself some lead core I think you will like the big boards  over inline especially if running copper or lead off them used riggers  all over the internet for a good price.

Now what is 300 and 500 copper?

From what I understand there is different color lead core and how many color you are out determines depth....right?

Yes on the lead core with the 300,500 is how much cooper you have on the reel 300' Will get down about 50' it's like fishing lead core but has a different presentation in the water and I like to run that stuff of boards so you can still run dipsy and riggers at the same time with the booms I like the 4' so you can turn your riggers to 45° from the boat if you turn them 90,° it's to colse to the dipsy but this is just how my boat is set up I'll try to find a picture but I got a new phone and don't have any pics on it

Ok Les you're turn LoL:lol:

Ok...now with copper and lead core you don't run divers off them they are your depth divice. Your run divers off braid correct.

What about your lines for the riggers are those braid also? And on braid set ups do I run a mono leader?

Most LO trollers run divers on wire, not braid........ braid'l work, but it tends to collect fleas during flea season.

Rigger lines are typically mono........

So run lead core or copper with divers and just add in wired depth to dipsy depth to get actual depth?

12 hours ago, stoneam2006 said:

Thanks.

Now as far as riggers go why are there different length poles and does it make a difference what I go with?

Get ready for a whirlwind of fun and frustration. This will be some of the best moments of your life learning Lake O and Lake Erie fisheries. Nothing can replace on-the -water time and trial and error but to answer your downrigger rod question:  Downrigger rods tend to have softer tipped rods with a parabolic action(the rod flexes evenly from tip to butt). This is often referred to as a "slow" action rod. It is necessary to choose rods that will handle the presentations and fish that you will most often pursue. I would choose different rods for Walleye than Salmon. Anglers have to balance having a soft enough rod that allows full "loading" while set in the downrigger and won't pull hooks out at the boat vs having enough backbone to steer the fish while landing and being able to wield the presentation while in the water ahead of the fish. Large Salmon flashers present a bigger challenge than a small spoon.

With all the great fisheries you are looking to get in on, you will eventually want 2 sets of downrigger rods. I would say a set of ML action 7'-8' rods for the fingers and Erie, and a set of 8'-8 1/2' M action for Lake Ontario Salmon. 

Edited by Capt Vince Pierleoni

Ok...now my plan is maybe 8 rods in the boat on a givin day hoping to run 6 at a time. Plan is to have extra reels on board to be able to change out if other set ups are running better.

2 dipsy
2 rigger
2 planner
2 extra

Now as far as that goes say you were going to spook 10 reels for the first time what would you be spooling them with. Looking at convector reels. Is there a certain size I should lean more toward. I'd like to be able to catch everything on everything as I'm just starting out and can't spend crazy amt.

21 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

So run lead core or copper with divers and just add in wired depth to dipsy depth to get actual depth?

Do not run divers off your leadcore or coppers, not only will you run out of willing fishing partners to reel that mess in, but it will defeat the presentation that core and copper are designed to do.

If I can make one suggestion to this new adventure, don't run more than one core or copper(run off back of boat) until you become well accomplished with riggers and divers. Not only will you be more successful, but you will be less of a problem while fishing in congested areas. Guys that are new to the fishery do not understand how close or far to be while in the vicintity of other trollers or people battling fish. It takes experience to know when lines need to be pulled to avoid a conflict and certainly dealing with tangles will suck the fun out of your water time.  

Just now, stoneam2006 said:

Ok...now my plan is maybe 8 rods in the boat on a givin day hoping to run 6 at a time. Plan is to have extra reels on board to be able to change out if other set ups are running better.

2 dipsy
2 rigger
2 planner
2 extra

Now as far as that goes say you were going to spook 10 reels for the first time what would you be spooling them with. Looking at convector reels. Is there a certain size I should lean more toward. I'd like to be able to catch everything on everything as I'm just starting out and can't spend crazy amt.

While I would prefer 20 size for walleye, I would buy the 30 size to be able to do all what you are trying to do with a minimum of gear. Remember to back drags off every time you are done fishing so they don't "set up." 

Ok thanks for tip. I have some magda pro reels already but was informed may not be the best choice for salmon. Would they be the good ones to set up for eyes and lakers.

Now say 10 reels total all being spooled.

2 braid

2 mono

300 copper

500 copper

What would be good lead core set ups to have?

14 hours ago, stoneam2006 said:

Now off the boards I can run lead core line without a issue but shouldn't run dipsy or torpedo divers correct. Just lead core.

If so how do you use them and fish deep? Or can't you?

You run the longer deeper cores closer to the boat. Shorter cores go in first & slide out further on big boards. When you want to get deeper we add snap weights to line where core meets flours leader. DONT snap weight on leadcore it will weaken Dacron sheath. Hook to flouro leader. You can also run leadcore way outside off board & dipsy diver in tight to the boat on the same side. You can run jets off the boards but don't recommend using them on same side as leadcore. Some do but I don't like to.