Releases for copper on otter boats

Spoonfed,

I'm running the Scotty downrigger releases for my 300' - 500' coppers. I cut the lead short to about 2" and add a shower curtain hook. They hold great. I also run the smaller Scotty plainner board releases on my 100' and 200' coppers. You can just use 2 rubberbands if you do not want to spend the money. Half hitch them around the line and then put them, in a shower curtain style hook.

I tried the shower curtain/rubber band deal for a while and really didn't like it. As I was sorting through an box of old releases a couple of months ago I found some 20 year old planer board releases that we stopped using long ago because the tension on the pads was just too tight for browns and light line. They have a shower curtain hook on the back of them and they work great for copper. Not sure who made them but they're just about perfect for copper. If we ever lose those we'll do what YT and Gambler are doing now with the Scotty's.

Gambler, when you run the scotty releases, are you putting the release pinch pads on the backing or can you put the pads directly on the copper? Like if you had a 600ft setup and wanted to run it say 300 or 400 feet off the tow line. Curious to see what would happen but never tried. I wonder if it would harm the copper.