Overwidth Towing

Been trying to find out about LEGALLY towing my 26 PY up to your pond a few times this summer and fall, I'm about screen blind from reading all the crap from the NY dept of trans, my question is, has anyone here from the forum ever gone thru all the steps and done it right, and if so maybe you can point me in the right direction or to someone who handles this  kind of thing. Ive never had a problem in years past with no permit, but Id like to be legal if its not too big a pain in the ass

Edited by Tradman

Been trying to find out about LEGALLY towing my 26 PY up to your pond a few times this summer and fall, I'm about screen blind from reading all the crap from the NY dept of trans, my question is, has anyone here from the forum ever gone thru all the steps and done it right, and if so maybe you can point me in the right direction or to someone who handles this  kind of thing. Ive never had a problem in years past with no permit, but Id like to be legal if its not too big a pain in the ass

I have several times. Call me and i can give you the low down.
315 247 3548
Steve

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Your legal at 102 " . IF it was me I wouldn't even worry about it. They will measure it at the stern ,not midship and I would go with I thought I was allowed 9' + and there is some law where private boat owners are allowed extra width. Thought I saw that posted on here some place and I looked it up after I saw it to verify that. Try googling it.- NYS boat owner allowed width -or something like that.

here is right from NYSDOT site.

POLICY:  Explanation: The following guidelines apply for private boat owners transporting their boats that are strictly over-width. These guidelines do not apply to boat transporters. o Ifwidthislessthanorequalto9’-0”:NYSDOT may issue annual or trip permits with continuous travel authorized. NOTICE Special Hauling OS / OW Permits Subject: Travel Restrictions for Private Boat Owners New York State Department of Transportation Central Permit Office 50 Wolf Road, 1st Floor Albany, New York 12232 Code: SHN 09-03 Date: March 10, 2009 Supercedes: n/a o If width is greater than9’-0”andequaltoorlessthan10’-0”:NYSDOT may issue annual or trip permits with weekend travel allowed. Night travel and travel during holidays designated by NYSDOT where oversize travel is not allowed is prohibited. o Ifwidthisgreaterthan10’-0”:Standardpermitrequirementsapply. All other Special Hauling permit requirements apply to private boat owners. This includes having the required signs, flags, and lights.

Source: https://www.dot.ny.gov/nypermits/repository/SHN09-03.pdf

We use reliable permit solutions. They take care of everything for all the states you are going to travel. PA permits are only good for 5 days at a time.Not sure about NY or Ohio. The permit for PA used to be something like $30 if you went to DMV office. Reliable does the whole deal for you and emails you the permit to you, just call them at least a week in advance. Once your in their system, just a quick call and your set. I think they charged me around $55 last time we got one. Will gladly spend $25 extra not to go to DMV. here's their link:

http://www.reliablepermitsolutions.com/index.html

Good luck

Edited by Reel Scream