Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Diversion

Transom replacement material

Has anyone used King Starboard or similar plastic as the material when replacing a transom in an aluminum boat? The original wood backer that is inside the transom is wood. My concern is whether the starboard has enough strength for this application. The starboard website says motor mounts are an application, however real word experience means more.

I like the idea of plastic as it will never rot.

Edited by Diversion

It is plenty strong. The main issue with starboard is adhering the two layers, nothing really sticks to it all that well.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Starboard will bend, its not the right stuff for that, its tensile strength is totally wrong! Over time or in heat it will warp awful with the weight attached to it. Please dont use it..  Look for a exterior ply wood they have at lows its called a project plywood. Its 3/4 inch thick and 7 ply with no voids. its made with exterior glue ( I cut a piece and boiled it in water for 30 mins no delamination at all was perfect)   (that's the standard test but at only 10 mins) ..   It has a stupid weird name I can never remember  they sell it in 1/2 inch as well. This is the same as your marine grade ply but at half the price and available locally. You can glue a couple of the 3/4 layered together with some epoxy and then paint the whole works with some epoxy thinned with a bit of acetone. 

Coosa board all the way, lighter than plywood, less than 1% water retention and no need to glass both sides what you spend exta on the board you will save in time and resin!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.