Squirrel

battlehammer

I was on vacation yesterday and today but the North wind kept me from fishing. I was determined not to waste both vacation days so I grabbed my 22 and hit the squirrel woods this AM. 41 degrees sunny and calm. A beautiful morning to be in the woods. Managed a few for my jalepeno and squirrel soup on a future cold fall day at hunting campIMG_0596.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The soup I make is your basic chicken noodle but with jalapeño's -makes a great spicy broth. I also make a pot pie out of them. My mother is repulsed by the thought of squirrels but after coaxing her into trying it she loves both those recipes. They also make a great stew. Squirrels are a great way to get the young ones into hunting and also a great way to sharpen up stalking skills no matter your age.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

-I look back at when I was finally legal to hunt in NY and my Dad and I spent every weekend in the woods together hunting tree rats and grouse.Still brings a smile to my face thinking about it. My dad is still here but he just can't put all the miles on his knees anymore. Enjoy the time spent together. I still have the tail from my first squirrel I shot 33 years ago. That one squirrel cemented my passion for hunting

• 2 weeks later...

i just made squirrel stew on sunday for my lady and I. I didnt think my lady would eat it but she did and loved it!  Pair the stew up with some italian bread and OMG its delicious.  I really enjoy shooting squirrels with my 22 caliber gamo whisperer

Hey Dave those Gammos are great aren't they? I have the Silent Cat and I have it totally dialed in.  Eight chipmunks so far with it all head shots from pretty good distance. i just had to try every type of pellet sighting it in before finding the one that is fully reliable shot after shot. I live at the edge of a development and this thing is wisper quiet:)

Edited by Sk8man

We always had a squirrel or two in my mem's meat pie. She raised 8 boys a one girl, that lady could make anything tast good!! Even her crusts were the best, she used to bytch at me in Pa. Dutch as a kid, "you handle it to much" then it would get tuff or hard for better words. Great to see this tradition still be carried on!! Great post. PAP

6 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

Hey Dave those Gammos are great aren't they? I have the Silent Cat and I have it totally dialed in.  Eight chipmunks so far with it all head shots from pretty good distance. i just had to try every type of pellet sighting it in before finding the one that is fully reliable shot after shot. I live at the edge of a development and this thing is wisper quiet:)

love my gamo!   my 22 caliber is quieter than my buddies 177 caliber must have something to do with the speed.  Mine is completely dialed in also as ive had it for a few years now.  I have no problem shooting squirrels in the head at 60 to 70 yards.  I have shot a woodchuck with it at 35 yrds for my mother at her house in Gates.  Head shot and killed it on contact!  I have not used it for raccoons yet as they are usually running in which makes a clean head shot too difficult.  I have a handfull of chipmunks with mine as well.

The only problem with my 22 is that there are no high speed pellets for it like there is for the 177.  I shoot the pellets that have the bbs in the end of them, not very fast but they hit really hard and are extremely accurate

I have a gamo and shoot the pellets with the bb in front too. Most accurate I have found. The gold ones are fast but I get poor accuracy. I have been shooting chipmunks off my stone retaining wall for three years and finally think I reached the top of there family tree. Haven't seen one in a few months. Destructive little things.