cut bait

I haven't been up to the big lake in a couple of years. We usually make the annual trip around labor day or shortly after. I don't see any post on using cut bait or "meat" as it was called. I called a sport shop last week and they said because of the bait ban, the old standby in the blue box wasn't available but they had some kind of perch cut bait. Has anybody had any experience with this or is it a waste of money. I'm coming up for a few days next week and would appreciate any input. Thanks. :roll:

This whole cut bait fiasco has me scratching my head. The DEC banned Rhys Davis cut bait in NY waters but it is still being used in Canadian waters, I hope the virus if it is indeed present in the bait,respects the International border! Why can't the DEC with all it's wonderful(and expensive) equipment test a few samples of Rhys Davis and then we will know for sure. I am having a very hard time blaming a frozen herring. What about all the ships coming in the seaway dumping thousands of gallons of untreated water into the great lakes, how about the round goby, a known carrier of the disease. No one at state seems to want to point a finger in the direction of the seaway. Too much money involved! Lets just go after the fishing population and blame it on the untested bait.DEC, either prove the cut bait is to blame or lift the ban!!! Maybe you could ban the goby, that would be something i could get behind.You people at state wonder why fishing license sales are down, go look in the mirror!

35- I agree. When I was last at the Oak these past few weeks, I heard several conflicting rumors. First, that the Rhy's Davis cut bait would be available once again next year. Then I hear that they went bankrupt. So what is is real story? I know I tried the artificial ( both B.T.B. and Big weenie) with herring scent- and have to say that I really didn't care for it. Maybe I'm just going to have to get use to it. Would be nice to have the real stuff back. Otherwise, we'll be making our own cutbait for next season.-Duane