First trip of the year yesterday with my 9 year old son. We fished 11:30-3:30. Went west to Johnson’s Creek and back. Fished 8, 10, 12, 15, and 18fow. Inline boards on braid w 25’ flouro leaders. Back 100’ out 100’. Had a couple colors of lead core w 25’ flouro leader down the chute just off bottom. Various bay rat short shallows and tried a jointed rapala. 2-2.5mph. NOTHING. Going again tomorrow. What do I need to change up? I will be adding some copper and gold backed flutter spoons back 50’ off riggers. My son was so patient and said he still had fun, but would love to see him catch a couple browns. Ran same program last year with success. Help.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I was up there on the 5th. We did well on orange and burnt orange stick baits. 50 to 100 back 75 to 125 out on boards. We fished the green water, 9 to 18 FOW. We went east out to the ladders then turned west and fished to the campground. We went 7 for 12. A couple of nice Browns in the 8 to 11 pound range. Our riggers were down 5 and back 100. Couldn’t get a hit on spoons.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Read the water. Around the mouth today there was all kinds of leaves and human crap floating in the stagnant water. Trout need O2. Down East a little there is lake water mixing in. A little warmer too. This time of year stare at your surface temp. A degree or two makes all the difference most days. Once you find one or two, keep hitting the area as there will be more.  Remember with cold night temps, the surface water (and the water along the bank) may be colder early but will warm up and be a draw later. 

Hi laker, I think I might’ve seen you at the launch? I had a 20’ alumacraft and launched at the same time as a guy and his son.  We landed around 15 browns and one steelhead but we fished until 5 pm. All of our fish came just west of the mouth where the water was a little cleaner and there was no mud, not sure if you noticed that little patch.  We caught 10 of the fish on an orange coho crush bay rat, and had the rest on “my secret” color.  Most of the action came off the rods right off our boat, I had around 65 feet of line out, about 30’ of this was 10 lb flouro leader then I had one color of lead core.  The other rods off my boards were just straight mono with flouro leader and I ran about 110-120 feet back with no weight.  Most action was in 11-13 fow but we had no success in the mud.  The fish definitely wanted the bright orange color.

Hi laker, I think I might’ve seen you at the launch? I had a 20’ alumacraft and launched at the same time as a guy and his son.  We landed around 15 browns and one steelhead but we fished until 5 pm. All of our fish came just west of the mouth where the water was a little cleaner and there was no mud, not sure if you noticed that little patch.  We caught 10 of the fish on an orange coho crush bay rat, and had the rest on “my secret” color.  Most of the action came off the rods right off our boat, I had around 65 feet of line out, about 30’ of this was 10 lb flouro leader then I had one color of lead core.  The other rods off my boards were just straight mono with flouro leader and I ran about 110-120 feet back with no weight.  Most action was in 11-13 fow but we had no success in the mud.  The fish definitely wanted the bright orange color.

That was us. Thank you! Nice job! I obviously need to pay more attention to water color. Heading out now.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Glad you had a better day.  After reading your post again, I would add to scale down on leader size.  Twenty-five lb fluoro is too heavy for browns.  Your sticks and spoons will work much better with 10-12 lb leader.  Just add a barrel swivel to your current leader and add a rod-length of lighter line to a snap.

3 minutes ago, Gill-T said:

Glad you had a better day.  After reading your post again, I would add to scale down on leader size.  Twenty-five lb fluoro is too heavy for browns.  Your sticks and spoons will work much better with 10-12 lb leader.  Just add a barrel swivel to your current leader and add a rod-length of lighter line to a snap.

I think he was saying he had 25 foot of leader not 25#