Another bad day on what has been a fairly frustrating year. Fished 7 am til 1 off the Genny. Lost a real brute off a an NK Frog that was in in 25 ft of water just off the Charlotte pier. Only other fish was a 6lb brown off the lead core in 58 feet, 10 colors out. 42nd spoon. Worked out to 70 and back numerous times. Best picture was 50 foot. Probably didn't help that my j-plugs were home in basement.....right where I left them.

This has been a tough year. Only had a couple "good" outings, fished the beginning of the spring tourney at Wilson BEFORE the fish turned on and spent the later part of the week out with a blown lower unit. As for the rest of the year, if I hear one more "it was hot yesterday" on the radio I will puke! I just seem to be out there when the fish don't want to bite.

I am inclined to throw in the towel and call it a year....but I am sure I will go out for more humiliation when the wounded pride heals.

I'm there with you. I fished from 6:30-9:00 am and didn't pull anything. I heard of one 6# Brown, but didn't see much taken. We slid out to 70 fow and found 62 degree temps on the bottom. Decided to cut our losses and head to work. What channel do you monitor? I have to 22 ft. Grady, I must of trolled by you at some time.

John.

If I am not mistaken I heard you tell someone you'd had enough and I commented that you were the smart one! I am usually on 8 but scan em all.

I have a 21ft Wellcraft, blue canvas top and fishing arch. I think I saw you closer to the river mouth around 7 or so. The catching didn't improve after you left from what I saw or heard.

I didn't get better during the afternoon.

My dad and I trolled off the pier from 25 to 50 FOW from 1 til 4 and had just one rip on a chartruese e-chip/ chartreuse/black fly on the 7 color leadcore in about 30 FOW.

Lots of marks, but all tightlips.

JAM

Sounds like a lot of people are marking plenty of fish around the genny without much success. Is this typical for this time of year? Where are the majority of the fish marked - bottom? How deep?

I'm looking for some insight on how to fish these beasts from the piers. Last year they didn't seem to hit unless I was dragging bottom but that gets expensive at 5 bucks a cleo!

I'm no expert, but in my salad days fishing rivers in the fall off of Lake Superior, you cast out a 3/4 oz KO Wobbler or Lil Cleo, let her sink to the bottom and hope you get bit as you reel it in. More casts less dragging the bottom losing spoons. Perhaps switching out the treble to a single hook would create fewer bottom snags? Another option would be tying floating egg sacs, 3 way rig style with pencil lead in surgical tubing. Pencil lead is thin and won't hang as much. Check out Sandersfishingguides.com for good river reports too.