Never been out trolling

So, i don't really know how this works, but i am new to this kind of fishing. I am really interested in getting into salmon and trout fishing. I have a boat and some random down riggers and gear, but have no idea what to do or how to use them.

I am used to fishing for bass, pike, walleye, etc. I have caught trout but always on a spoon from shore. Never caught a salmon.

If i were to pay for gas and bring my own tackle... would someone be willing to show me the ropes on their rig?

I apologize if its rude to post something like that on here... I'm not trying to get something for nothing or leech off you guys. I just want to learn where to begin.

This site is a great resource and i've spent several hours reading posts and articles. Seems like a good bunch of people here.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Hey Matt, welcome to the site. I'm sure if you put in your profile where you're from you would get invites from guys in your area to split expenses. Also the "open seats/trade a trip" section is where most guys post who are looking for riders. What area are you going to be fishing out of? Like you say, there's a good bunch of folks here who are more than willing to give information, and NO it's not rude to ask at all. When you do get your first salmon you're gonna be hooked as bad as the fish you caught. ;)

Thanks for the reply Muskybob!

I live near Highland Park in Rochester(brighton is across the street) so i'm within 10 mins of Iron. Bay, 20 to charlotte, 30 to Sandy creek. I grew up in the Clarkson/Hamlin area so i'm pretty familiar with sandy.

Yeah, i really look forward to catching some, but also just getting out there and fishing!

Do many people keep and eat what they catch?

You might want to start by reading something like "Great Lakes Salmon and Trout Fishing" by Dan Keating and Chip Porter, you can get it from Amazon. Though learning thru doing is great it can help to have a framework for understanding why things are done they way they are. Trolling is an awesome and exciting pursuit but you will get overwhelmed by how technical it can be if you don't get an overall picture to begin with.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm only a few years into trolling myself, but what has worked for me is to invite someone out on YOUR boat, with YOUR gear. I worked thru setting up, to which lines to put out first, and what techniques worked at different depths and conditions. You'll find plenty of guys who would take you up on a trip (myself included, although I'm a humble novice too!).

• 1 month later...

Be careful! I took my first slamon trip a few years back out of Sandy Pond. Thats when I caught my first Lake salmon. I have had three boats since then and have hidden more expenses from my wife than you can imagine. Its funny when she comes out on the boat and looks at new stuff with a puzzled look in her eyes. All good advice has already been given above, just be prepared to catch a serious fever!

• 2 weeks later...