oneida boating question

Hi guys, new member from central PA here.

Thinking about heading north to Oneida for a few days. Never fished there before.

I have a 14' v-bottom starcraft (w/25 hp motor). As long as I am cautious and watch the weather, is that big enough under normal conditions on the lake?

I've heard that it seems windy there...not sure if that's true or not.

TIA,

Todd

oh yeah it can get rockin and rollin out there. Beware of the west winds. It wips across that lake and really gets moving out there. I used to fish it with a 14ft fiberglass and i was just weary of the pure west wind or pure east winds. Just watch the weather and enjoy! great fishery!

Thanks guys. I will be primarily after walleye. Caught a few by accident down here on the Susquehanna but I'm not very knowledgeable with best practices.

Pretty good with bass, and may target them if the walleyes aren't biting for me. Course, I'd love some of those fat perch, too, great eating.

Thinking of hiring a charter for a day and shore fishing for another day or two. My tow vehicle is an '84 and it broke down in the pouring rain heading home from Canada a couple months ago. Left a pretty sour taste...

Todd

the best and safest[weather] place to launch and be close???? to the fish may be fremac's on the south side in lakeport.straight out of the launch and to the west is a good weed bar for eyes, perch or bass.after that head slightly ne after you pass 22 fow you will come to another weed bed.same deal.after that, north east ,the water starts to drop off to 22-32 fow.eyes and bass.and you are still less than 2 miles from shore!!if you keep headin ne you will come to 38 to 42 fow these are the pancakes,still less than 3 miles away from shore and walleye territory.the lake is full of bait.good luck and hope this helps.and so long 4 now;john

I fish out of Fremac and keep my boat there ... they may tag you for a launch fee if anyone is around. What the others stated is spot on .. the lake is a 22 mile long wind tunnel. The only down side is that Fremac gets hit on an east wind and a west wind being that its somewhat in the middle of the lake ... if the wind is hard out of the west then Brewerton might be better .. if out of the east then Sylvan beach (Marion Mannor).

good luck .. last time out for me the bait fish was really thick ... and I chose not to troll so the fishing was slow. As of a few nights ago the night bite had not fired up yet .. but soon very soon (and another few degrees!!)

good luck and be safe ..