Which rod holder to buy ?

Jack

Hi!

Looking at buying some dipsy rod holders . Saw these 2 and wondered if anyone had any experience with them . Kind like the ratchet system on Berts but don't know how well it works.

Berts MF3098

http://www.teclausa.com/bert/products/rodholder.html

Fishing’s just got easier if you are using Bert’s Custom Tackle Adjustable Rod Holder with our Ratchet Gear System. Adjust the rod holder to the angle that you want. You have 5 positions or from vertical to horizontal to choose from. When you get a fish on line you can easily pull the rod holder straight up with the Ratchet Gear System. It’s easy to remove your rod and maintain pressure on the line in one motion!

The new ratchet gear rod holder has the same features as the old rod holder—such as all metal moving parts. Extra-strength parts that are easy to use even on a boat in rough water and the parts are made of marine-grade materials.

The rod holder fits in Bert’s Custom Tackle Track and rotates 70° with 2 clamp knobs that lock the rod holder into the grooves in the track. This means you have easy horizontal and vertical adjustment, which is great, if you’re fishing with a buddy or you have multiple lines in the water.

or

Traxstech RRH-230

http://www.traxstech.com/store/rod_holders.htm

ADJUSTABLE ROD HOLDER

Our #1 selling rod holder!

(The strongest adjustable rod holder available on the market)

This holder has five locking positions up and down, 45 degrees of side to side rotation, giving you the flexibility to position your rod for many different types of fishing. (Excellent for dipsey diver use)

Base and Tube made of aircraft quality aluminum; working components are made of stainless steel to provide strength and prevent corrosion.

I have used Berts ratchet rod holder in the track setup for dipsy setups and I like them better than traxtech, watch out for the black rubber guide getting pulled off if a youngster grabs the rod out of the holder with a fish on, it can come off and wind up in the drink. It is important to check fittings - dipsy rigs put a lot of strain and vibration on everything! I have heard people say that after a few years, even the Bert's holder will start to show the wear and tear that a Dipsy rig hands out.

I have the Traxstech

Two things I don't like is the thumb screws come loose all of the time and for some reason no matter how much you tighten them and the second is the end cap screws lock up in the cap and can't get the screw out.

Found out if you put the wrench in the screw and tap the cap it comes free. I think it's the two different metals. Sometimes you can tighten the screw and try to take it out and it's stuck.

I've owned both Bert's and Traxstech's and I like the Traxstech better than the Bert's holders. The ratchets on my Bert's wore out and that made them almost useless. I like the 5 positive locking positions on the Traxstech's better than the ratchet on the Bert's, but Bert's is still a quality product. The Traxtech holders are built like a tank and have held up beautifully for the couple of seasons we've had them. I'd put them on my boat again in a heartbeat. Our thumbscrews haven't backed out on ours though...but the track that I have on my boat is Bert's and my end cap screws do the same thing as yours do Rick.

FWIW, Cannon has also come out with their own line of track mounted rod holders and they look pretty nice too. Theirs is a ratcheting system sort of like Bert's, but they've put a replaceable composite tip on the ratchet that glides easier than the metal to metal of the Bert's and can be replaced if it ever wears out. http://www.sportsmans-depot.com/details ... ystem.html

You should also look at Cisco holders. Both Yankee Troller and Maniac have them on their bots and they look like a quality product too. Maybe they'll chime in with their thoughts on them.

DSC062872.jpg

Don't get me wrong Bill

I think there a real good product. I think the thumbscrews are a problem because I don't use the allan wrench on them. I don’t want to deal with the wrench while I am fishing if I want to move them. Most times they don’t back out while on the water, it seems I find them on the deck of the boat after I trailer it. If the knob was a little bigger I think it would hold.

Maybe I just need to eat some Wheaties

I would buy them again thou.

No worries at all Rick. I don't use the allen wrench on mine either. But then again my boat isn't ever trailered and bouncing down the road...I can see how that would loosen them up for sure. And I agree, I'd like to see the knob a little bit bigger too.

The good news is that there are LOTS of good choices for rod holders these days and any of them will do the trick. It's just a matter of personal preference.

As Billy V stated above we are goin into our 3rd year? with a set of berts and the rachet is wearing out. Once any type of pressure is put on it the rod holder falls down level to the water. still use'em though just moved them to the back of the track for the deep dispy.

Big John rod holders don't have all that hardware to mess with, fall off, or come loose & can be adjusted with one hand, which comes in handy sometimes. I have 12 total on my boat & some of them have been around for a long time with 0 problems. The more hardware on the unit, the more problems you will definately have. Allen wrench required to set the desired attitude of the rod holder, give me a break! Big John got rid of that concept at least 20 years ago!

I agree with Iceman - make sure you at least take a peek at Big Jon holders. I have four heavy duty Dipsy rod holders and a set of doubles on each side along with the holders on the DR's and they're fantastic. They have a heavy duty "pull pin" that you pull in and out to adjust the angle. They're extremely strong and durable. The only problem is I wish the gunwale bases had a "track system" so you could slide them for adjustments.

Just my two cents - no matter what you do, make sure you buy a rod holder meant to take the punishment of a Dipsy rod....

Good luck

- Chris

I have played with them all! It took me about a year to decide what I wanted to do. One thing that I didn't like with Traxtech, Berts, Big John, and Vector was you were limited to certain positions. Where ever there was a groove or hole was the position you HAD to have. When I saw the Cisco's in action I said now there is the ULTIMATE rod holder. It locks in ANY position you want it to. On top of that it swivels 360 degrees. There isn't a position it cant go in!

One recommendation I do have, if your boat allows, is to put them on a Traxstech track. It just gives you that much more flexibility. On some of the older models I have sen some of the hardware in the mount start to rust. A call to Cisco and that problem is taken care of. Recently one of the partners died from cancer. So the owner has some issues meeting deadlines and if you want a colored rod holder he waits till he has a minimum order for that color before he produces it. So, what I am trying to say is if you like these I would put your order in now.

Below are some pictures of mine in action. I am in the process of sending them my Scotty dual rod holder mount to see if they can fabricate something for me. If and when that comes about I'll be sure to post pictures. In the first pic you are looking at (from left to right) copper off the board, high wire, low wire, and the corner rigger rod. Looking at the two wires there is no way any other rod holder would allow you to keep both of them that low. Again, becasue you are limited to their hole or groove. Good luck in your endeavor! its a one time purchase so buy what works for you and remember to allow your decision to be flexible in the future if you want to add on.

CIMG3088.jpg

100_0637.jpg

100_0639.jpg

Just to clarify, there is no need for an allen wrench to set the desired attitude of the holder with a Traxstech. There are two tumbscrews on each holder and all you need to do is loosen them, rotate the holder into its position (I think they rotate something like 45 degrees) and tighten them. Very simple.

FWIW, that new Cannon holder swivels a full 360 degrees too. They look pretty sweet to me.

AdjustableRodHolderDualAxis1907002.jpg

My vote goes to Cisco as well, hell my boat is on there website. I've used them all and Cisco's are by far the best out there, nothing to wear out and infinate adjustability, countless way to mount them as well. There riggers are sweet too, heavy but sweet, very rock solid and strong motors.