Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Here's my report for Cayuga out of the South end. We hit the water around 8:30am. We had a slow start in the AM, hence the late start time. The ramps still have quite a bit of debris washed up, but we cleared a path easily enough. Water levels were good and we had no problem getting out. The inlet is in its typical 6-10' range. There's still plenty of debris floating around out there, FYI. Headed out and started trolling in 150-200 FOW. Plenty of good marks and bait out there. Not a single fish wanted to cooperate. We threw every kind of Moonshine spoon, fly/flasher, and Little Cleo that we had at them. Dipsy's and riggers. We also hit the shoreline on the east side of the lake with stick baits off the planer boards. Not a thing. I typically don't get out and troll this early in the year. I only talked to one other guy and he said he got skunked too. Just chalk it up to an off day? Anyone got any early season advice? Should've went turkey hunting instead! 

We picked up a few salmon in tight early.  Michigan Stingers and Bayrats off boards produced for us, the bite slowed for us after 8:30-9:00.

Just now, Big Spoon said:

We picked up a few salmon in tight early.  Michigan Stingers and Bayrats off boards produced for us, the bite slowed for us after 8:30-9:00.

So you're telling me I need to drag my butt out of bed earlier even in the early season? I suppose I can handle that! :grin:

16 minutes ago, lfoster607 said:

So you're telling me I need to drag my butt out of bed earlier even in the early season? I suppose I can handle that! :grin:

:lol:

If you don't mind catching lake trout right now go out to the 125-150 water and run your stuff 80' -120' and you won't get skunked or disappointed. 

• Like 2

No skunks here went 14 for 18 hits a beautiful brown rest lakers ....one 32 inch 12 lb laker...Sunday...IMG_2407.JPGIMG_2409.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

No skunks here went 14 for 18 hits a beautiful brown rest lakers ....one 32 inch 12 lb laker...Sunday...IMG_2407.thumb.JPG.b9d79070c03007c68b1ca029b3f93b6e.JPGIMG_2409.thumb.JPG.9a70e236d4d1b9b2f7759d67e91e33fa.JPG

Nice fish! I was same area as you (background pictures) only ended up with one pickerel. Did you see a green kayak with red paddle? That was me. IMG_2389.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I did... I was amazed someone would be in a kayak in 45 degree water lol hope you were in a good exposure suit we got the brown close to where you were but a little north of you.. wild fight broke the Treble hook

I did... I was amazed someone would be in a kayak in 45 degree water lol hope you were in a good exposure suit we got the brown close to where you were but a little north of you.. wild fight broke the Treble hook

Lol! I get that a lot. I just pick the right water conditions, if it's not too rough, I'm not worried about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Kayaking is awesome as long as you are prepared! And prepared means you should probably wear a survival floatation coat or wet/dry suit when the water is below 50-ish, no matter how calm it is. When that 32" lake trout hits, things get CRAAAAAZZYYYY :) I have kayaked in every month of the year except February, fishng and duck hunting.

Here's a trick I was taught. Try it, dont just read this. When you are out, look around and assume your boat has flipped and estimate how long it will take you to doggie paddle to shore with all your clothes and stuff on. Maybe 3 minutes? Probably more like 5... but anyway, if you estimate 3 minutes - roll your sleeve up and stick your entire arm in the water, and hold it there for your 3 or 5 minutes. TIME IT!!! I dare you to try this. Now imagine your entire torso feeling like your arm just did :) I've actually done this, and it is seriously painful sometimes... woke me up for sure. Be safe and have fun!

Not a bad idea...I will be putting up a comprehensive video on the uscg aux website for ithaca a cold water presentation that included a video of people in water about that temperature as a test and followed their symptoms over time..it is quite educational...have some editing to do on it but it will be up likely in a week or so on our YouTube