Cable from DR probe to rigger weight

chowder

Anybody got a simple recipe for making a few break away cables to go from the probe to the weight? I do not have a crimper, was hoping you could tie knots like rigging up a wire dipsy. Please specify hardware brands , length, and # test. Thanks, I have been using the cable that came with my Fish Hawk speed & temp unit and it looks kinda rough!

Sub troll guys have a dropper set up you can buy or you could use the dipsey knot on both end or get to tru trac down rigger weight clips and do it that way there is a lot of different ways to do it.I run about 16 inchs from probe to weight I got 130 lb cable with my SNT but I use moores 150 lb cable on my rigger so I use the 130 lb cable.Good luck

If you want removable use a terminator at each end for changin weights etc. Use the same knot you use for wire line and use a crimp for the excess. Nice and clean result and functional.

I use Klinchers on all my terminations - nice and easy, affordable

http://www.marinamarket.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=241180

Just googled it to get a picture not to sure of the website.

Something to think about also if you run sharks or exp downrigger balls under a probe- I bumped up the # test cable that comes with it for the dropper or "breakaway" I never put my probe that close to the bottem and dont want to lose my sharks.

Jax, what #test should I use if my main cable is the coated Depth Raider cable, and where can I get it?

Tim, will the Cannon terminator hold lesser test weight cable ok? What are the advantages to using the crimpless Cannon terminator as opposed to just tying to a heavy snap?

Merry Christmas to all and thank you for all the help.

chowder-

I would just splice off some of the coated cable 18 -24 inches and use that(pull off the coating if its the black easy to remove kind.

You wouldnt want a # test stronger than your main rigger cable. If the coating isnt easily removable just use some old rigger cable in the same # test as your rigger cable you run now. Good luck

Merry Christmas!

• 2 weeks later...

I dont really run my probe very close to bottom at all either...

here's how mine is rigged up

subtrollsetup.jpg

2 different release options depending what im doing that day: adjustable Walker (Blacks) release up top, then a clip to my probe, then I run a Scotty rigger snubber from probe to cannon ball ... i then can run a regular release off my ball if I want to as welll...

its easy to detach the probe from my rigger while travelling or spot hopping as well