Down riggers and summer steelhead

On 6/20/2019 at 10:51 AM, TyeeTanic said:

Free sliders generally get you 1/3rd the way down to the rigger weight.  So 100 ft down, your sliders probably at around 35 ft.  If you want to get to 60' down, then you'll have to use fixed sliders.  Simply attach to the cable using a rubber band that will snap if a fish takes the bait.  This actually helps in most cases, as that line doesn't count as an additional rod.  In Ontario, the Regulatory Guidelines for Bait and Gear Restriction, Feb 2006 state:

(6) As a provincial standard, the maximum number of hooks attached to the

end of a fishing line should be four (4) regardless of whether they are

single, double, or treble hooks.

I haven't checked if there is a later version.

So this means assuming the rules haven't changed (please check yourself), that a free slider still counts as one rod, as long as total hooks including the main line bait isn't more than 4. 

Not sure if you have heard the term "Cheater Line" ... it's the reason, as it takes advantage of this rule in the book.  I don't think using the term cheater line is a good thing though ... it just puts a negative spin on it and sooner or later someone's going to attack it ... free slider or fixed slider is far more neutral and probably won't attract the same attention.

Dont know if i read this wrong.If your attaching a fixed slider to a cable with a rubber band that will break when a fish hits it would be attached to another rod that would count as another rod. sliders/cheaters fixed or sliding would be attached to the line of an existing rod.just dont want to see someone get jambed up on a rod count.

Dont know if i read this wrong.If your attaching a fixed slider to a cable with a rubber band that will break when a fish hits it would be attached to another rod that would count as another rod. sliders/cheaters fixed or sliding would be attached to the line of an existing rod.just dont want to see someone get jambed up on a rod count.
It's attached to the already existing rods line with a swivel that will slide down to the other spoon and stop once the rubber band breaks free. 1 rod 2 spoons

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 7:57 AM, nhjim said:

Not exactly what I'm saying.  You'll have a main line and hook that up to the downrigger cable above the ball. Drop the ball say 20 feet.  Attach the free slider line to the main line (it will be loose at this stage). Take an elastic and tie the elastic to the downrigger cable, and the slider swivel.

Swivel is now fixed to cable at exactly 20 ft above the main line lure. But slider is still attached to the main line.  Fish hits, it snaps the elastic, and slides down to the main line lure.  Main line and slider on the same rod.