another wire question

We have used wire two years now. First year it freakin rocked!! We couldn't keep them off of it. This past year sucked! I think we took three fish on it all year. First question is how often do you replace your wire? Secondly anybody else have experience like this. Are some years just better for wire than others>? Am i just crazy? (ray k don't say a word) Also no kinks in the wire

scott

Scott,

It might not be your wire. Last year was a down year for most all of us on the East end. It's hard to get the wires to fire when there aren't many fish around. Let's hope 2009 is a better year for all of us. I wouldn't stress over your wire's lack of success last year just yet.

Last year on the east end, the temps were up on a lot of the days. It's possible that you may have been fishing below the fish, I know I was until a buddy of mine helped me figure it out. When the temps are down only 40-50ft or so, you would be surprised to how much wire you have to let out to achieve depth. It wasn't as much as I used to think! I would suggest that you try going into shallower water, like 50ft or so and see how much wire you need to let out until you "tick" bottom at the speed you like to troll at with your equipment. Note your dipsey setting. The reason I'm recommending you to try it yourself is because everybody's set-up is different. Reel size,type,etc. makes a difference. How full your spools are makes a difference. What pound test you use makes a difference,too! You may even find variances from reel to reel due to line counter inaccuracies. On certain days you really have to be dialed in to get your dipsey bites. A few feet difference can sometimes make a huge difference in your dipsey bites.

I'm a wire guy, but when we hit LO last year it was not as good as in year's

past....who knows....

It's amazing when you look at all the tackle we accumulate and how good

one lure can be one year, and not the next....I always tell my crew we should

put on the oldest, ugliest lure that caught fish 10 years ago....and I bet we'd

get just as many.

In the mid 80's on Erie, the alpena diamond was the must have walleye lure....

now I can't tell you the last time I caught one on that..:)!

John

I have been running the same wire for 2 years, I think it is still in good shape so I'll probably go another year at least before I change it out. I also cut the last 10 ft. off every year where it starts to curl (I have to break rods down so I can't keep tension on it all the time).

Burt