leadcore brands

What brand/weight does everyone use? I am looking into tuf line micro lead. That way I can run 10 color where i ran 7 color before. 

lb size is same price point. So why would you go 18lb vs 27lb. its .001" bigger. And the same price. I fish erie walleye and ontario eyes. 

Thanks!

Waldo

Edited by MINNOWNITE

Suffix Performance Leadcore 27lb and Fishusa Stealthcore 27lb. For me a 7 color and 10 color both go on 45 size reels so there was no benefit in micro lead for me. My leadcore is pretty much strictly salmon/trout so I'd rather have the extra strength and 27lb test. If I was targeting only walleye I would likely use the 18lb stuff.

I have 10 different leadcore rods all spooled with tufline micro lead 18 lb. I have been using it for walleye on erie for 4 years now with no issues. I went with the microlead so that I can fit 10 colors on a 30 size reel with plenty of backing for walleye.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Just now, Fishmaster 196 said:

I have 10 different leadcore rods all spooled with tufline micro lead 18 lb. I have been using it for walleye on erie for 4 years now with no issues. I went with the microlead so that I can fit 10 colors on a 30 size reel with plenty of backing for walleye.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Youve run 4 years on the same leadcore without changing it? do you run boards? if so do you segment or clip straight on the leadcore? or use elastic bands?

43 minutes ago, MINNOWNITE said:

Youve run 4 years on the same leadcore without changing it? do you run boards? if so do you segment or clip straight on the leadcore? or use elastic bands?

He likely has dedicated setups, which is why he has 10 setups. Clip boards on to the backing and no wear and tear on the leadcore itself. I would never clip boards directly to the leadcore just fyi. 

• Like 1

For someone looking to tie in a section of mono to use in a release into lead core, they probably should look at using a traditional nylon sheathed lead core like Mason or Stealth Core.  I say this as the nylon sheathed cores are easier to tie with a Willis knot which likely would be the best choice to go through the rod guides easily.  I use the Tufline micro lead on my 10 colors and have never had much luck with the thinner line and the Willis knot.  Putting a number of sections of mono in a lead core means a lot of knots so they have to slide through the guides and be strong.  I’m not a fan of having lots of knots so I’d run a straight 5 color if I could only have one lead core rod and was after eyes on Erie.

For someone looking to tie in a section of mono to use in a release into lead core, they probably should look at using a traditional nylon sheathed lead core like Mason or Stealth Core.  I say this as the nylon sheathed cores are easier to tie with a Willis knot which likely would be the best choice to go through the rod guides easily.  I use the Tufline micro lead on my 10 colors and have never had much luck with the thinner line and the Willis knot.  Putting a number of sections of mono in a lead core means a lot of knots so they have to slide through the guides and be strong.  I’m not a fan of having lots of knots so I’d run a straight 5 color if I could only have one lead core rod and was after eyes on Erie.

Curious.
I haven’t used the tufline. What’s the issue with using the Willis knot.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

It’s called micro lead and it’s thinner than standard leadcore so the sheath is too narrow to fit the other line into it to tie the Willis.

Depends on the diameter of the line you’re trying to join it with, obviously.

• Like 1

Tuf-Line does offer two types of lead core.  One is Tuf-Line Lead Core which has a polyester sheath which I would put in the traditional lead core category where a Willis will work fine.  The other choice which this topic relates to is the Tuf-Line Micro Lead with a Spectra sheath and is advertised as 30% thinner and stronger.  Allows for use on smaller reels and is supposed to have similar sink rate by being smaller diameter.  That thinner diameter makes it harder to do the Willis for me.  I use the Micro Lead on Saltist 50’s with 10 colors and have been happy with it.  I use back to back uni knots to tie it.  For shorter cores I use Stealth Core and use the Willis.  To me the Micro Lead has an advantage in a longer lengths- not so much especially 5 colors or less. I have no interest in any lead core company by the way.

Tuf-Line does offer two types of lead core.  One is Tuf-Line Lead Core which has a polyester sheath which I would put in the traditional lead core category where a Willis will work fine.  The other choice which this topic relates to is the Tuf-Line Micro Lead with a Spectra sheath and is advertised as 30% thinner and stronger.  Allows for use on smaller reels and is supposed to have similar sink rate by being smaller diameter.  That thinner diameter makes it harder to do the Willis for me.  I use the Micro Lead on Saltist 50’s with 10 colors and have been happy with it.  I use back to back uni knots to tie it.  For shorter cores I use Stealth Core and use the Willis.  To me the Micro Lead has an advantage in a longer lengths- not so much especially 5 colors or less. I have no interest in any lead core company by the way.

Thanks guys.