LC reels and copper line

I have my copper marked every 50 feet with heat-shrink tubing so I know how much line is out. I don't think the line counter would be very accurate due to the large diameter of the copper. Just my opinion.

Brian(Goin Deep)

I guess the only reason I was thinking of using a line counter reel is because I could very easily repeat my setup once I find something that works. I don't care if 150ft is really 174ft I just want to able to repeat something that worked well for me. Also I've heard the the shrink tubing tends to work loose and is no longer helpful.

The problem with most linecounter reels is that they're not big enough to hold enough copper to make them of any use. Shimano has just introduced a Tekota 800 linecounter and you should be able to get 400' of copper and backing on that. That's about the biggest linecounter reel out there as far as I know. Most of us are running the Penn 345 GTi for our 500' and 600' coppers and there's no linecounter on that beast.

One plus though to the 800LC is that if and when it happens, for most of the time it does or just a matter if time, is that the copper will need to be cut and spliced due to a kink or tangle. I have the shrink wrap as well on all my copper rods, but as Ugly mentioned, repeatability is more accurate with the LC now than the shrink wrap line that has been spliced. Also, the use of a LC with in liners would be more accurate if fishing 2 or 3 off the side of the boat. Say a 150-300 and a 450. The use of the LC would make this application somewhat easier. Billy- as Tim Bromund mentioned, you will be fishing the Oak ;) So you won't be fishing as deep as in your old stomping grounds. Meaning for the most part the 800 LC would be adequate most of the times. Welcome to the Oak-Duane

Duan,

You mean I should tell Tom Allen to keep that 2,000' copper I just ordered? I was SO looking forward to fishing 450' down! LOL!! Not to worry, we have a 400' and a 300' copper rig that we're looking forward to using a LOT more than our 600' this year! Thanks for the welcome! Looking forward to meeting you and all the others down there.

Billy- as Tim Bromund mentioned, you will be fishing the Oak ;) So you won't be fishing as deep as in your old stomping grounds. Meaning for the most part the 800 LC would be adequate most of the times. Welcome to the Oak-Duane

I'll never leave home without my 600 copper whether its fishing Wilson in May the Oak in July/August or Oswego for a tourney. The majority of the fish might not be down there................BUT THAT'S WHERE THE SLOBS ARE! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yankee. I couldn't agree more that is where the majors are at. That is why my 600' sees plenty of action when and where I feel it is fitting. But I believe that at the end of Billy's season his 300' and or 450' will put more targets in the boat, esp since he has a paying clientele who are looking for numbers. I was going to stop over and say hello Sunday, but the few times I headed over that way you had people talking to you. And wanting to hear a couple of the speakers, I ran out of time. Beautiful king you had mounted on the table- Is that the one you took off the Oak?-Duane