Thompson & Penn Yan Hardtop's - Thoughts????

HPORT

We are looking at 1990's 22-25' hardtops, Thompson's and Penn Yan's. We are looking for input on both, which one is preferred, faults, short comings, etc...

A hardtop with at least 5' 11" height is a must.

We are looking to posibly purchase a 1994 240 hardtop and not having fished off one, would really like to hear what those who have think about them. What to look for when inspecting one that may not be obvious.

Has anyone had both Thompson and Penn Yan's, which one did you prefer and what are the good and bad between them?

Thanks,

John

Cant comment on the Thompson but can give my input on the Penn Yans. They are great. We have a 1989 Penn Yan 245 that we bought new and have had no problems with. Had the boat surveyed this winter, no stringer or transom problems. Ours has the 5.7L merc and has plenty of power. I have fished off the same boat with the 5.0L Merc and thought that it was underpowered. If you can find a Penn Yan that is in good shape and surveys well I would suggest the Penn Yan. Also, there are a few other guys on here that run Penn Yans so I would expect that they will all say good things also. Good Luck with which ever you choose.

I have a 1988 Thompson 240 Hardtop, so far after 1 season I am very impressed with the ride and layout. 18" trim tabs boat practically idols on plane with the 305, good fuel economy, and plenty of depth to handle as much as you want too or should be out in. I had a 24 ft sportscraft and this is far superior of a boat. I know alot of people with PennYans and I know they are a good boat also never had one to comment on but both are good boats as long as you have her surveyed and she was taken care of. Good Luck.

I have an '89 Thompson 240.....had three years now and I love fishing out of it. I like the ability to walk (standing up) under the hardtop and I feel very safe when out in it. Just as everyone else said, get a survey and take a sea trial.

good luck on your decision.

Ray

Thanks for the replies,

We inspect our boats throughly, hundreds of photos, documenting services and history, rapping and testing, taking 2-3 hours. Have restored old boats from 12 - 36' over the years we have learned to measure twice cut once, same goes for buying boats...

We are currently negotiating a deal on a 255 Penn Yan. This boat fits our needs well and if we can strike a deal and a good survey, it will be back on it's home pond next month.