Kicker set up advice please.

RodBuster

These are my experiences with kicker motors. W/ why I did the last one like I did.

My last boat I installed a kicker with one of those sprink loaded kick up brackets. All I ever did was fight the bracket .Those kicker motors get

heavy towards the end of the day. Plus I didnt dare transport it down the highway with the motor on the bracket. One more thing to mess with.Also I let a buddy of mine use my boat and he cut a fingertip off in that stupid bracket.

I also think those easy steer arms that mount on the rear off the motors turned into a big pain also. I had to constantly adjust it. It would fall apart at the worst times.This time I got a front mount bracket from Yamaha. So hopefully that problems fixed.

As far as how much horsepower you need from everything Ive read your just not going to get much speed unless you can get your boat up on plane.

This time I installed a FIXED BRACKET . Its all alumium and powdercoated. You bolt it to the back of the boat and your done. A mule couldnt pull it off. I bought it from a place on the left coast.Around 300 bucks delivered to my door.I also bought a motor with power trim. I bought a yamaha mainly because my main motor was a Yamaha.The motor is set back aways from the back of the boat to allow the motor to tilt forward.

I set mine up for remote control with a regular ole Yamaha control box. My autopilot controls the kicker off the steering link from my main motor.

Wireing was probably the biggest nightmare. But I finally got it squared away.I run a dual battery, dual engine,With a perco 3 postion battery switch.If interesed Ill tell you how I did it.

Ive been thinking about this kicker project a couple years ,mainly for brn trout fishing.I like to get in close. Run the boards in where the waves are breaking.Now I wont have to worry so much about the big rocks.I also think gas is going to get crazier than it already is.

Rod.....even thou `stix & I have similiar boats we do have different kicker setups. His advise is well worth heeding but remember there will be trade offs no matter how you mount, steer and throttle.

I did install the "Troll-Master" electronic throttle and am vary pleased with it's performance. Can really fine tune rpms and I think it is actually better than cable linkage. Unfortunately, you still may have a little trial & error to get your boat setup the way you you'll like it.