Batteries

chowder

Got an Islander w/ a 2 battery setup in which the 2cd battery is charged w/ a 110 charger and used for electronics & riggers and the main is charged up by the I/O and used for starting & factory gauge pkg. The aux is shot, it is a trolling type battery. I am going to have a dual battery switch put in asap so I was figuring that the new battery should not be a trolling type, am I right about this and if so what are good specs for a battery used in a dual battery setup w/ the Perko switch? As far I can tell the main battery is fine. On tractors they always tell you to replace both but I have replaced them singly lots of times.

With the switch installed I would keep a trolling battery and also a starting battery. Use the starting battery to start it then switch over to the trolling battery once the I/O is running to charge it. This way you are still getting the best performance for trolling and starting. Just an idea.

With the switch installed I would keep a trolling battery and also a starting battery. Use the starting battery to start it then switch over to the trolling battery once the I/O is running to charge it. This way you are still getting the best performance for trolling and starting. Just an idea.

Good point jeb. ;) Any idea or diagram on how to wire the batteries to the switch? Thanks

I use two batteries with the perko switch, both batteries the same. I seldom use one of the batteries because I like to keep it in reserve for an emergency start in case of a failure in the battery I'm drawing from. I f, however you are using a kicker motor that does not charge, and you use electronics all day without the main engine running you probably would do well to have a deep cycle combination starting battery for trolling, and still keep one battery fresh all the time for starting the main engine. Once you start the main you can switch it back to the aux. deep cycle for charging on the way back to port. Then when back at port you would probably want to give the aux. battery a good charge with a small 6 amp charger at nite. Just remember you should never try to charge both batteries at the same time. you run the risk of burning out the stator and regulator in your alternator. Also one useful instrument on your dash should be a voltage monitor for the battery you are using so you don't totally deplete the accessory battery. Even if you do, you can still start up the main engine with the reserve battery you keep fresh. BTW you can run two deep cycle batts as long as they have starting crank amps rated as high as you can get them for the series of the battery you are using, maybe a 24 or 27 series is what fits your box or could be even bigger series , I don't know. What ever it is get the biggest crank amps for the size battery and you will have plenty of power to start up and head out or head home.

Mark

Chowder,

I wouldnt replace both bateries unless you have to. Most auto parts stores have battery testers to check the condition of your batteries and Id recommend it before replacing them. I seem to be on a 2-3 year replacement cycle with batteries and I always make sure to put the fresh battery in as the starting battery.