can we do this

i know it was brought up before but can't remember if it was resolved and can't find the old topics and posts.i'll be fishng the spring derby with my g.f. and she doesn't like bringing fish in on the dipsies which i prefer to use. can i reel the fish in and then hand off so i can net. if so who would enter the fish if it was to be on the board ?

We had a friend out of Oswego who blew the 20,000 fall prize a few years back because of this, he was told that whoever is holding the pole when the fish is netted must be on the weigh in form. So, if your gf is holding the pole when you net the fish make sure that she enters the fish.

A couple years past I asked this similar question of Dave Chilson. He said at the time it doesn't matter who or how many handle the rod this is a "team event" but like Gray Fox said- if GF is holding the rod when fish is netted then she is the person registering the fish and not the witness. This is why everyone must be registered and two per boat. You have a witness and you are a team on the boat.

We had a situation when this question was posed t Dave where 3 of us handled the rod at different times because the fish went crazy at the back of the boat and ran under wire and rigger cables and other mono lines. We took turns weaving the rod through the maze and the rod was handed back to the guy onthe rod origionally and he registered the fish in the LOC with no issues. Of course person # 1 grabbed the rod onthe initial strike then handed off to # 2 as it was his turn on the rod. End of story.

Clarke

Most charters the mate grabs the rod and hands off to the customer.

Get a pair of the 7' roller guide dipsie rods from Fish Dr.. They are sweet and my 86 yr former fishing partner could get the fish in on the wire with them.