Laptops on board??

Does anyone use a wireless laptop while out on the lake?? I do, and find it to be quite useful.

I know its an added expense (40$ per month), but between realtime radar/weather reports, coastwatch and such, it comes in handy. I must admit my service (verizon) is provided by my employer, but after reading that you have to pay for sirius weather (30$) fed into your plotter, the laptop certainly is another option, (if you already have one)! BTW, i have not lost a connection on the lake at any time, and its nice to send pic's home shortly after they happen. I am going to attempt to upload video as it happens, we'll see how that goes. Any thoughts???

Pete, I've got a laptop, actually two, one a sony vaio and the other a toshiba. both are carried in the truck but the sony is more of a rugged unit. I thought about the laptop on the boat but being an open cockpit and not enough room for a 15 inch unit on the console keeps me from taking it on the boat. But I have considered getting one of the small screen jobs as long as I can keep it dry. I have spint broadband ($59) unlimited data up and down, and it is very good with picking signal anywhere even in the deserts. True the sirius plan is another expense but I think I like the ability to get real time lightning strikes from sirius. However I can't say much about the sirius weather service, since I don't know anything about using it. The idea of being able to get internet info from weather sites is good though. The ability of sending pics and video from the boat is cool too and very possible. I do that all the time from the truck. A cool plus to the laptop would be one that has the camera utility built into the screen so that you can record video direct to the hard drive without having a video camcorder. The camera utility can do a real time video conference style of communication as well with someone who is logged on with your computer via live chat and video exchange. Just aim the screen camera towards the action or whatever. I know you have a cabin, so I would be one to definitely do it. I'll be waitin to see those action shots :yes:

Mark

I picked up a used laptop at my computer repair shop. My daughter's Verizon account got me a USB plug in internet access thigamajig and my motorhome had a small inverter that I hooked up to charge the battery so I can keep the computer on. I think it will be useful to track the lakes surface temperatures, weather radar, weather buoy situations, GPS with another thigamajig, camera stuff and other tricks. I'll charge the internet access off to my wife's work necessities. Maybe I can post what lures, depths and where the action is not at while I am out on the pond. I do not know how the cell phone service is out there on the pond or if I will get stuck with a Rogers Roaming charge. At least I will not be more than a few years behind in the technology race.

For a minute Pete, I thought you were talking about LAPDANCES on board. Which sounds like a great idea too if you can find some talent up on campus!

And how did you get that little tidbit of information Gray? Past performances? Hey guys, let me know when the party starts. Can't wait to christen your new rig Gray. Dennis says he can't wait too. Got any pics yet? :beer::beer::beer:

Well Bob, I did get my bachelors degree from Oswego State so I used to have some local contacts, but would have to research the area for new talent. I will try to post some pics this week of my new ride. She is not all done yet but close. I need to mount some rod holders yet and apply the bottom paint. I cant wait to have a few with you guys. Tell Dennis I said hello. It has been a long winter. See you soon. :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

For a minute Pete, I thought you were talking about LAPDANCES on board. Which sounds like a great idea too if you can find some talent up on campus!

And how did you get that little tidbit of information Gray? Past performances? Hey guys, let me know when the party starts. Can't wait to christen your new rig Gray. Dennis says he can't wait too. Got any pics yet? :beer::beer::beer:

BOB, it can't start soon enough. I'm glad to see you survived your most recent adventure. :yes::beer::beer::beer:

Whats your booking for June look like? Lapdances and Lakers! Sign me up! :rofl:

A few guys I know are doing this over in Ohio that I know of. I see the benefit of doing it, but as is the case with me, if I started doing it, I'd put off the purchase of the new Raymarine combo unit with sirius weather that I have the hots for... I just can't let my wife see that there is "sensible" cost savings bone in my body when it comes to fishing gear. I just can't take that chance.

A few guys I know are doing this over in Ohio that I know of. I see the benefit of doing it, but as is the case with me, if I started doing it, I'd put off the purchase of the new Raymarine combo unit with sirius weather that I have the hots for... I just can't let my wife see that there is "sensible" cost savings bone in my body when it comes to fishing gear. I just can't take that chance.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: