Canadice laker jigging?

Does anybody have and willing to give any advice on jigging Lakers in canadice? I have been to the lake twice in the last 3 weeks and only managed one laker each time. Maybe I’ve just timed it in tough days or maybe these fish need to see something different than the standard 1oz jig and swim bait. I have marked plenty of fish and and bait and had some solid chasers that just wouldn’t hit. Any advice is appreciated. I don’t have a real boat or I’d obviously be on Cayuga, I just got a nice fishing kayak so Candice makes the most sense right now. 

Edited by dawsonscreek

Canadice lakers can humble you pretty quickly; there are days I can have non-stop action, and there are other I'll go 3-4 hours without a single hit.

Can't say if any one time or location is best on that lake, but it's small enough to move around to find bait balls and marks.

I bring along a large assortment of jigs and blade baits, and change-up things if until I find what they're interested in.

In no particular order,:

PK lure flutter spoons
PK lure Panic jig
Bite booster blade baits
Sweedish pimples
Kastmaster jigging spoons
1 - 2 oz saltwater jigs

And pretty much anything else I can find that's heavy with hooks on it.

I fish out of a Hobie kayak. All the Finger Lakes are fishable with the right safety gear and a good mind about you. North \ South winds can make the lakes too rough for a kayak, but if you watch the forecast, you'll be fine.

Also found that based on winds, (for example) T-falls is too rough, but Sheldrake or Deans on Cayuga is relatively flat; so don't be afraid to drive around to check different locations.

20210809_120531.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by JJBat150

18 hours ago, JJBat150 said:

Canadice lakers can humble you pretty quickly; there are days I can have non-stop action, and there are other I'll go 3-4 hours without a single hit.

Can't say if any one time or location is best on that lake, but it's small enough to move around to find bait balls and marks.

I bring along a large assortment of jigs and blade baits, and change-up things if until I find what they're interested in.

In no particular order,:

PK lure flutter spoons
PK lure Panic jig
Bite booster blade baits
Sweedish pimples
Kastmaster jigging spoons
1 - 2 oz saltwater jigs

And pretty much anything else I can find that's heavy with hooks on it.

I fish out of a Hobie kayak. All the Finger Lakes are fishable with the right safety gear and a good mind about you. North \ South winds can make the lakes too rough for a kayak, but if you watch the forecast, you'll be fine.

Also found that based on winds, (for example) T-falls is too rough, but Sheldrake or Deans on Cayuga is relatively flat; so don't be afraid to drive around to check different locations.

20210809_120531.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thank you! I will definitely check out Cayuga on the right wind days. Probably wait until after Labor Day so there will hopefully be less boat traffic. I do really enjoy how quiet and peaceful it is on Canadice. I appreciate you weighing in stay safe, tight lines!

I can't offer specific advice for Canadice, but can tell you this-

You will always have a better chance at picky lakes VERY early in the am..  I have seen them shut down at around 6:30 after hitting like crazy at  5-6 am...Just like someone shut off a light switch..  I have always  found the lakers on Keuka, Seneca and Cayuga to hit best very early morning, and I mean first  like first light twilight before the sun comes over the treetops...

Of course you can catch lakers  even at mid day, and some guys have the knack to get out at 10 am and still do great, but not me... Early morning has always been  the best time, and in mid summer I have seen a hot bite shut down well before 7 am many times... Get out to your  jigging spot  where you know there are a few lakers,while its still a bit dark out one time, and see if you agree....bob

• Like 1