What do look for when jigging for lakers?

My favorite tried and true method is to have binoculars on your boat and look for the guys sitting stationary hooping and hollering cranking in fish.  I then motor over and tie up to their boat and proceed to fish................works every time! Offering a cold refreshment alleviates any ill will most of the time.:-D 

To be serious trusting your equipment and identifying the bait and Lakers feeding on bottom is what I've found works best for me. More time finding and less time jigging dead water.  I started using a new fish finder and sometimes its just an empty screen.  I thought it was broke and couldn't get anymore sensitivity out of it until i started finding real marks.   I had a really old Lowrance that no matter where i went i would always mark fish. With the new fish finder its really put more confidence for me marking true marks of bait and fish and less erroneous readings.  I have more willingness now to do a bit more time looking and searching for bait and fish before wetting a line. I usually run out and mark 3 or 4 good spots.   I then try to put a time limit  30 minutes or so on a location which can be hard when you know they just aren't biting but again finding active fish will load a boat faster. 

• Haha 1

I know Chinooky was just having fun, but in reality if you see a few boats working an area with jigs, that typically could be a good starting point.. If I see a few guys jigging hard, and sticking around, I figure they might know something I don't... NEVER go right where they are fishing..  Go  a couple hundred yards from where they are, and keep an eye on the screen for bait balls, and individual marks.. These days when you  see more than one boat jigging an area say a half mile  long, you can bet that its a zone that produces at least occasionally...

The fish are not everywhere, and the more you fish the more productive  spots you will find.. Always  keep your distance, more than you think is correct, but also realize that good fishermen know where the  fish are located, and use it to your advantage if you can do it  without becoming obnoxious.

I like finding an underwater flat around 100 ' or so, which can be hard to find on some of the finger lakes. The wind shouldn't be too stiff otherwise my drift bags won't slow me down enough to be vertical with the jig. We'll use white jigs and plastics most times but have had success with grays and smoke shades. My fish finder is nothing special and pics up the jig and fish well. Sometimes the fish are active and want to play, other times not so much. Go get em!