South Shore Wave Forecasts (Rochester-Oswego)

We've all seen it over and over again when the NWS in Buffalo issues a Small Craft Advisory when the lake is beautiful for fishing. Today is a great example: south winds, nearshore wave forecast of 1 ft or less, and they have a small craft issued until 8pm tonight. If you would like to get more reasonable wave forecasts with much better accuracy, tune in to the Storm Trackers Team NY on Facebook who not only forecast for, monitor, and track severe weather across CNY including Lake Ontario, but also issue wave forecasts for Lake Ontario from Rochester to Oswego. Easy to read graphics, real-time weather tracking and alerting, and text notifications you can sign up for are some of the benefits of the service they provide. Check them out at:

Storm Tracker Team NY

Here is the NWS definition for winds necessitating a Small Craft when the waves are not (like with a south wind):

Small Craft Advisory for Winds
(SCAW) - An advisory for wave heights lower than small craft advisory criteria, yet wind speeds are potentially hazardous. Thresholds governing the issuance of small craft advisories are specific to geographic areas. * Eastern (ME..SC, Lake Erie, Lake Ontario) - Sustained winds ranging between 25 and 33 knots.

Yesterday's NWS forecast: 
Showers
SSW 19kt
1ft
High: 53 °F
Water: 37 °F

Not even a mention of wind gusts - that is the whole story. I'm a meteorologist by trade, I am an experienced mariner, and I know when poor forecasts are being made. This is often the case for our area as the marine forecasts are "not very high on our priority list since it effects very few people compared to our other forecasting products" as stated by one of the senior NWS forecasters I spoke with at a presentation they gave several years ago. They also will rarely if ever take one down early once issued even if the conditions no longer warrant the advisory. 

I'm just offering a far better place for anglers to get their marine forecast from that is much more accurate and updated more often. If you like the NWS, go ahead and keep being disappointed...

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2022 at 7:45 AM, Finders Keepers said:

We've all seen it over and over again when the NWS in Buffalo issues a Small Craft Advisory when the lake is beautiful for fishing. Today is a great example: south winds, nearshore wave forecast of 1 ft or less, and they have a small craft issued until 8pm tonight. If you would like to get more reasonable wave forecasts with much better accuracy, tune in to the Storm Trackers Team NY on Facebook who not only forecast for, monitor, and track severe weather across CNY including Lake Ontario, but also issue wave forecasts for Lake Ontario from Rochester to Oswego. Easy to read graphics, real-time weather tracking and alerting, and text notifications you can sign up for are some of the benefits of the service they provide. Check them out at:

Storm Tracker Team NY

Finders Keepers— I don’t do Facebook for personal reasons, but tried their website multiple times and a goofy error.  Do you know if they actually run a non-Facebook website for those who prefer not to use Facebook?

On 4/21/2022 at 7:45 AM, Finders Keepers said:

Storm Tracker Team NY

Here is the error I get:

A70FC3CB-4942-471A-B6B3-80C200A95C61.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Pair of Jacks said:

Here is the error I get:

A70FC3CB-4942-471A-B6B3-80C200A95C61.jpeg

It's not a website, follow the link above to Facebook. The Storm Tracker Team is a volunteer group that offers these services for free to the public and is based on our passion and expertise for the weather. 

The fact that your a meterologist and mariner how does 5/7-5/14 look for bad wheather patterns for Wilson /Olcott area  .I realize  it’s week out but I have been combing sites hoping for a fishable lake for 17’ boat .I am not on facebook and realize a lot can change with wind but just looking for experienced outlook if you heading out that week .Had to ask . Thank you in advance .

2 hours ago, Finnagain said:

The fact that your a meterologist and mariner how does 5/7-5/14 look for bad wheather patterns for Wilson /Olcott area  .I realize  it’s week out but I have been combing sites hoping for a fishable lake for 17’ boat .I am not on facebook and realize a lot can change with wind but just looking for experienced outlook if you heading out that week .Had to ask . Thank you in advance .

PM sent with details.