Radio help

baytech05

Hey guys,

I am looking for some insight and hope maybe some of you can give me some direction. I put a Uniden Oceanus DSC VHF Radio on my open bow 16.5 footer about a year ago and had to replace it due to a broken pin connection in the power cord. I only have a 36" antenna but when I have never had a problem talking with guys a few miles away before I replaced the unit. Since I relplaced the radio (with the same model) I placed a male/female connection in the power line to avoid the pin problem and have since had problems with it. All my transmisstions are choppy unless very close (within a couple hundred yards) of the other boat. I also have trouble recieving the weather broadcast as it also comes across choppy if at all.

I think the antenna connection might be screwed up, maybe the soddering is comming undone.

Before I started to tear stuff apart I thought I would see if anybody had any suggestions.

Baytech

I think the antenna connection might be screwed up, maybe the soddering is comming undone.

Provided that you are getting 12 volts at the pins on the power cord, that would probably be the best place to start looking. Or try hooking up a buddy's "known to be good" VHF using your existing antenna and PL-259 connector to eliminate the possibility of a problem w/ the radio.

Thanks guys,

I really don't have much of any room left in the boat for a larger antenna. I have the current one mounted up in the bow and lay it down along port side when not in use, anything bigger wouldn't fit.

I will try to hook up my buddies that is the same model this weekend and see what what I can figure out.

Bob,

I don't have any excess wire. Do you think this could be a problem? I have both my antenna and power lines running in the same conduit up to the front battery. I have had it this way since I first installed it and haven't had a problem until the pins got bent on the first radio. I have the radio mounted on the starboard side, all of my switches are there as well, bilge, livewell, lights, etc, but my fish finder is on the port side opposite the radio. Once again i don't think it's an interferance problem because it worked prior to this.

Thanks again guys,

Baytech