Dispey diver rod reel and line set up

Looking to add 2 dipsey set ups to my spread but need some guidance.  I have an old hand me down set up with mono that clearly is not up to date

Suggestions

Reel?

Rod?
Guide type?

Line?  amount?  If wire or braid what backing if any needed?

thanks In advance!

Edited by tenatureboy

I run Daiwa Great Lakes 9' 6" roller rods with Daiwa Saltist 30 reels and Malin 30lb 7 strand wire.  My buddy bought the new Tekotas and they are great for mono but the wire is destroying the insert in the line guide on the reel.  Thats too bad because they are really nice reels!  

This topic comes up regularly. You can look back and find all the replies and decide for yourself.

Here are some key points:

Mono, Braid, and Wire divers all have their time and place, and people have preferences for many reasons that are important to them.

Compared to each other, mono fishes shallow, braid intermediate, and wire deep. Where the fishing depths overlap, you will need more mono than braid to achieve the same depth, and you'll need more braid than Wire to achieve the same depth.

Mono divers tend to be difficult to trip from the boat if fished near their maximum depths due to line stretch. Braid and Wire stretch minimally so they trip more easily.

All three can be rigged to fish both regular and slide divers.

Magnum divers are best paired with wire but can also be pulled with braid. 

You can mix line types on the same side of the boat (for a third or fourth diver), just run deeper lines inside and shallower outside.

With a third or fourth diver, you can clear and reset either one without clearing the other just let out the diver slowly under partial drag and it will slide right back in place.

Mono, braid and 19-strand wire are "easy" on rod guides, while the 7-strand wire is more "harsh" on rod guides and the reel's level wind. Consider the amount of use they will experience to decide if that is a factor that is important to you.

While not necessary, the significant extra cost of roller-guide diver rods need only be considered if you plan to fish the more abrasive 7-strand wire. It is a LOT cheaper to fish traditional ceramic ring guide diver rods and use Mono, Braid, or 19-strand wire.

It's easy to spot nicks or abrasion on mono and wear on braid line and repair it before it breaks. 7-strand can kink easily when mishandled, a unrepaired kink in 7-strand will hold for a while and then will break if you ignore the warning signs to cut out the kink and re-terminate the wire. 19-strand is very kink-resistant, you can tie knots with it. 19-strand tends to "rat-nest" when it gets damaged giving you a warning to re-terminate the wire.

It's been my observation that casual non-observant anglers will lose the most gear on 7-strand wire and the least on braid. 

Figure out what you want to do and how much you are willing to invest and then pick the approach that makes the most sense to you

For what it's worth, I fish 19-strand wire on ceramic guide ring rods using a "Twili" rod tip. I keep 6 divers aboard:

a) 2 are 8' and heavier diver power. I usually pull magnum-size traditional divers on them.

b) 2 are 8'6" and standard diver power. I usually pull standard-size traditional divers on them.

c) 2 are 9' and standard diver power. They are dedicated-rigged to pull slide divers on them.

When I run 2 divers on a side I run "a" inside and "b" outside (when fish are deep). I run "b" inside and "c" outside when fish are shallow.

Edited by John E Powell
  • Like 1

Thanks Gambler HB2 and john

Agreed lots of ways to slice and dice the subject.  Lots of me to try and learn.  

My main days of LO fishing were in the 90s and early 2000s before family and life took my time. Also before the days of wire and leadcore and meat rigs.  Hell my first ESLO derby as kid was trolling in front of Charlotte beach out of a 25’ sailboat holding a Mitchell 300 with a little Cleo tied on!  Yep we caught cohos and lakers!  

So I am playing a little catch up each season now that I am back. 

thanks again!

John gave an excellent summary of the issues surrounding the selection of line for dipseys as well as rod concerns and "expert" advice is always great to see on here and helpful to all.:yes:

The difference between mono and braid or wire is epic . No stretch . 

I have used both wire and braid . Never had an issue with braid . It's not quite as good when the fleas get real bad but it is bearable , at least for me .And it's very forgiving .  The wire gets a little deeper but not a whole lot . And after losing 3 diver , flasher , bait rigs  and all the terminal tackle ,in one year , I trashed the wire . 

And side by side , I catch the same amount on both 

A 150 yard spool of 65# is about 20$ 

Not bad If your reels have counters and good drags . Splice it with an Albright to 20 or 30# mono.

If you feel you need the best , then by all means. .  . ..

Edited by HB2
  • Thanks 1