Fished in the Ogdensburg area Sunday and trolled hard for northerns in the 16’-18’ range in areas i’ve had success before. No northerns but accidentally hooked a smallmouth that i did not bring into the boat, i just reached over and got the hook out. Also used Rapala jigging raps at spots i’ve had success before for walleyes in the 22’-25’ range. No walleyes either. Ended the day casting spoons in some bays for northern in the 15’ range and got some follows and saw some fish but no takers. Avoided going shallower than 12’ all day to avoid any spawning that is going on. Saw multiple bass boats however that had no issue fishing for bass on beds. That is disappointing to see. Overall, just happy to be back on the river.

• Like 1

Good for you EJT, wish there were more sportsman like you out there, its frustrating watching these bass boat clowns hammer these spawning hens with no regard for the consequences.  I think part of it is lack of knowledge, and the other part is simply indifference.  Either way, the DEC needs to stand up to this, move back the bass opener (they actually made it earlier this year if you can believe that) and start posting officers at boat launches to lay out the rules and ethics that we all need to live by to sustain our fisheries.   

I believe the governor should get involved and make a law that ALL bass tourneys are catch and release as well.  Some do it already, make it the standard.  We already know the technology has far surpassed anyone's idea of fair chase, at least allow the breeding fish to remain in their habitat.