Skaneateles lake Question

How’s everyone’s luck on catching the walleyes out of this lake.. I have heard mixed reports.. some do great and some fish for days and come back with their tales between the legs.. buddy and I are thinking of giving it a shot

I would try trolling a erie dearie with a worm if they are around you should be able to catch them or try trolling a small stickbait as the bait is small here in this lake hope this helps

I just tried Skinny this past Tuesday. Gave it an hour with my favorite Erie / Oneida worm harness. Tried along the drop at the north end weaving in and out from 40- 20. Not a single walleye . Lots of bass though.  I also have had some reports of good walleye catches. Just got to keep on trying.

I doubt there will ever be really good walleye fishing in Skaneateles.. Yes they are there, I have never caught one, and many others haven't as well... The habitat is not right.. Its a deep cold lake without a big forage base, and I would think that rules out a lot of walleyes suspended on bait that would be a good target for trollers.. Also yes, Walleyes are predators, and might eat  small Lakers/Rainbows/Bass/perch/whatever, but the opposite is also true. A  finger size  walleye is a good  meal for  a LOT of other fish... just look at cayuga. There have been walleyes there for many decades... Try catching one... Most catches are incidental, and often the fish are large..  I have no doubt that on skinny, there are some areas that might hold catchable numbers of Walleyes, and even a few quiet guys that know when, where, how,  on what and which color the fish can be caught. However, I think a lot of the hysteria we saw  on this forum when Walleyes were confirmed in Skinny, was a huge over reaction.. Just because a fish exists in a lake doesn't mean you will ever catch one... Cayuga has White Bass, Bowfin, Eels, Walleyes, Channel cats, and probably a dozen other species  of which very few are ever seen let alone caught... I think the Walleyes in Skinny will be that type of deal- talked  about, maybe even worried about by some, but not a major player in the fishery.. The habitat and forage base isn't right. There are Pickerel in Skaneateles as well, and I have never seen one of those either.   If you want walleyes,  i would think there are much better options....bob

I fish Skaneateles a couple times a week. It is a tough lake to learn but light lines are the key. There are a lot of Walleyes in there and I usually catch a few good ones per trip trolling worm harnesses and #12 Deep Husky Jerks. Speed and direction vary daily but usually 1.2 is a good place to start. Lately they're hanging in 18-30 feet of water and are both suspended and on the bottom. The guys that jig catch a lot more than I do but I don't enjoy jigging. 6-8lb test with Floro leaders works well. Aside from the Walleyes the Perch, Rock Bass and Smallmouth will rob you of plenty of worms as well.. Hope this helps. Joeimage000000(1).jpg

Sent from my SM-A125U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 4

Well we were on the water by 730 and fished till 3.. 20 fish total.. 2 rainbows-one was a skippy other was a nice one we kept, 1 walleye about 20”, 1 jack perch we caught on a Scorpion spoon on a dipsey and the rest were small lakers.. a lot of marks and most were lakers laying on the bottom.. beautiful day out there and crystal clear lake and best part about it is there are no fleas

• Like 1