New to Dipseys - help me set up right from the start

Looking for advice to set myself up with 2 dipsey rigs. Primarily target lakers from 40-80 fow. These will complement 2 downriggers and widen the spread (likely run wide setting 3 most of the time). Was planning luhr-Jensens, though just read about deeper divers - potato potato or is one superior? If Luhr-Jensen  I’m assuming I’ll want #3 magnums. Can I fish 40’ just as easy with the magnum or am I better to swap for a #1? 

I’ll likely use some off-shore clips to allow running longer leads (just watched the fox fishing vid and like the look of that setup, will be beneficial if chasing rainbows which can be boat shy). 

I’ll need 2 line counter reels, any favs that are reasonable priced (ie <$200). I haven’t used coldwaters but am not a fan of Okuma. Assuming 30lb power pro would be about ideal? 

Anything else I should prepare? I’ve been doing some searching but feel free to share any videos or threads if you know any good ones…

Thanks! 

Most run a #1 and it will get down last 40 ft no problem.i like the dreamweaver deeper diver think a 107 mm is the same as a #1 dipsy They also dont have to have the ring popping off. I've never used the release for longer leads and never had a problem getting steelhead.

I use a convector 30 itll hold about 1000 ft of wire or braid and they have good drags for the price.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It's hard to beat a black Deeper Diver 107 mm run on wire, using a rod with regular guides but a Twili Tip replacing the tiptop. No advice on braid, since we don't run it. I see that the new Daiwa Saltist reels have been released...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gator said:

It's hard to beat a black Deeper Diver 107 mm run on wire, using a rod with regular guides but a Twili Tip replacing the tiptop. No advice on braid, since we don't run it. I see that the new Daiwa Saltist reels have been released...

Pardon my ignorance, but what’s the pros / cons of wire for Dipseys? I’ve never used or seen it used (im out west). Was thinking braid as if I wanted to use the rod off the DR or jig or something else I could…

Just my two cents, as opinions vary from fisherman to fisherman, but I would say if you don't have any experience using wire line stick with the braid to start out using dipsies, it's one less thing to worry about when you're learning to run them and a whole lot less expensive and more forgiving when you make a mistake. Also, you won't have to put TwiliTips on your dipsey rods, which is something you can do later if you decide to try wire. The biggest problem with running braid on Lake Ontario, as far as I can see, is that during certain times of the season spiny water fleas really stick to the braid and are hard to remove. If you don't have that problem in B.C. I'd say go with the braid. I've used both the braid and the wire and I personally don't see much difference between the two fishing less than about 75' deep, and as I said, the braid is much more forgiving. As for dipseys, I like the Chinook divers because they provide less drag when fighting a fish, but I also use and like the Dreamweaver Deeper Divers in 107 and 124 sizes because you don't have to mess with an added ring. I doubt you would need the 124 size for the depths that you are fishing. For linecounter reels on a budget, I know you said you're not an Okuma fan but it's hard to beat the Okuma Convector series in my opinion. I would stay away from the Magda series for the difference in cost. The convectors are pretty well built, easy to get service and parts for, and have a pretty good drag system which is easy to upgrade with Dragmaster drag washers if you feel the need. I have some Convectors and some Cold Waters, and also have some Daiwas, Penns and two Shimanos. The Shimanos are definitely the best, but the cost is about twice that of the Convectors. As with all fishing gear, I would say if you're really serious about what you are doing buy the best you can afford, it will last longer and give you better service. Good luck and great fishing!

• Like 1

Yep, what he said. Wire's better with the fleas and for getting stuff deep...if you don't have issues with fleas and you're only fishing 40-80 down, then braid's probably easier. No need to overthink it - the best guidance you will get is from experience. We run a four diver spread nearly 100% of the time, and we love it. On L. Ontario, a big steelie will just destroy a wire rod, make you jump out of your skin, best thing going. I love the feel of being connected.

FYI, we use Shimano Talora rods, 8' and 9 1/2' for our inside (down) and outside (up) rigs. I'm not sure what speed you're running for lakers out there, but I don't think I'd use four wire divers on Lady O. at the ~1.4-1.6 mph that lakers crave. Getting them set without tangles would probably be a nightmare, particularly the way the currents have been this year. 

Also, just wanted to make sure that you know Rob's write-up on copper, while absolutely the bomb, doesn't translate very well to wire. Two different beasts. Forgive me if he covers wire in that article; I haven't read it in awhile. 

Edited by Gator
  • Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the responses, we’ll written. Yeah, no water fleas out this way so I’ll stick with the braid.
The bad taste I got from Okuma was from the Magda and a spinning reel (can’t remember the name) and a rod a number of years ago. Do love the shimano’s maybe I can get away with one of each- lots of folks seem to be happy with the convector so will keep my eye out for a sale.

Thanks for the clarification on the copper steel difference Gator, knew they were different but was assuming they were quite similar. I Won’t have to worry about it (at least for now).

I’ll check out the Taloras (again a shimano fan) and maybe the Diawa diver rods - medium heavy seems to be the standard? Slow action I assume, similar to a downrigger rod?

Thanks again to all for the perspective.  

the Coldwater is supposed to be a couple of steps above the madga reels. I bought 4 new 203 reels and one of them was Doa. I bought them last fall but didn't set them up until July. we use them for walleye on Erie. the other 3 worked flawlessly for us. but only time on the water will tell the story. the convector is another good reel from Okuma. but you can get the daiwa sealine 27lc3b or 47lc3b reels for not much more money. and they have been tested as an old lca that has been upgraded to the lc3b. I used the old lca for many yrs. and got great service from them. daiwa has a couple of line counter reels that's around 200.00. it's just like picking your own poison.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2022 at 6:21 AM, Gator said:

I also like the deeper diver better than the dypsy diver. I like the release better.. YOu might also look into Chinook divers

I started with the dipsy, but the rings kept coming off and was a pain. then came the deeper diver with no rings and the same size as the dipsy and I switched. but later I read about the lite bite slide diver and loved the way the lite bite arm could be set loose to release even if the front release was set a little tight. so, I switched again, and it was the best decision a have made regarding walleye fishing. now I very seldom drag even a small white perch around. but I don't use the slide part but use an o ring and tie a short piece of heavy braid about 10" long to the o ring and lace the line through the little block in front of the lite bite arm then put it in the lite bite arm. and tie it to my snubber then use a 6' or 7' 20# Fluro leader and add my lure on it.

if i were getting divers other than the lite bites it would be the deeper divers from fishusa.com hands down.