Golden Hill State Park

Camping this weekend at Golden Hill State Park and brought the boat along to spend some time on the water.  Nice launch area but a little surprised when going through the channel into the lake there was excessive mud/sediment build up in the center so had to raise the prop a bit.

On an evening trip so stayed inside setting up at 150.  Meandered out almost to 300 before turning back in.  The lake was flat as no significant wind, yet when zigzagging the boat speed varied up to  3/4 mph when going West/Northwest vs East/Northeast. Must be some strong current moving through there.

Screen had occasional bait pods and rare fish marks, most down 75 to 125.  Coming back in at 180 fow found some very acrobatic steelhead.  Hits were on spoons off the riggers down 75 and 95. Dipseys with flies never fired.  One last heavy fish gave my wife 10 minutes of entertainment before it finally broke off.  

A beautiful evening to be on the water.

IMG_20220819_195214987.jpg

IMG_20220819_195740322_HDR.jpg

• Like 4

Good to see your report! I used to fish out of that port a TON when I had a cottage out that way. I loved fishing out there because there weren't many boats and you were kinda between the Oak and Olcott. In May, we would get the Niagara water too if the wind blew the right way and it would be fantastic. Summer months would hold fish too from 250-500 most days and the browns stack up in July in that 50-90 foot section. 

It's a cool area and not many folks use or it know about it. The bummer is that they don't keep that channel open as much as they could but I would imagine that it's a never ending job. 

Thanks again for your post!

Flanman