Electric downrigger electrical draw?

BRsnow

My TM and electronics are set to be wired to lithium. For simplicity adding electric DR for first time, if they are the only thing connecting to my starting battery besides main and kicker motor, any concern of drawing the battery down too much? 

Main motor will be no problem. For kicker, it depends on the alternator (or stator) output. Although running one downrigger shouldn't be a problem with either. For reference, I run 4 electric downriggers, vhf, fishhawk, and 3 fishfinders on the starting battery, which has 210 minutes of reserve capacity, while being charged with a Yamaha 9.9.

For whatever it’s worth, if it helps, you should keep your electronics off the TM batteries and put them on your main. Interference might be an issue  and level drawing the lithiums if you are tying them together if you have more than one helps them live longer. To your question as long as your trolling with the motors charging the main you’ll be fine. Is your main going to be lithium as well?

1 minute ago, Frogger said:

For whatever it’s worth, if it helps, you should keep your electronics off the TM batteries and put them on your main. Interference might be an issue  and level drawing the lithiums if you are tying them together if you have more than one helps them live longer. To your question as long as your trolling with the motors charging the main you’ll be fine. Is your main going to be lithium as well?

I am running the TM on an 80ah 24v, the electronics on a 100ah, then cranking battery for main motor and 9.9 pro kicker. With DR towards the back and only used once in awhile it seems easier to attach to main cranking battery, just don’t want to drain it.

• Like 1

The way I would wire the back of that boat is to run both engines off the same cranking battery. The second battery would be considered the "house battery" and most likely a deep cycle. You connect those two batteries with a automatic charging relay (ACR). Blue Sea Systems make them along with a few other manufacturers. When the ACR senses that the cranking battery is getting a charge it opens up the relay to charge the house battery. You would hook your downriggers to the house battery. This way no matter what engine is running a charge is going into the house battery. If the DR's kill the house battery it will not effect your ability to crank over your engines. 

Edit: I may have read your post wrong and both engines are hooked to one cranking battery along with your downriggers. As long as your kicker has an alternator in it you'll be fine to run your downriggers on that cranking battery.

Edited by Yankee Troller
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Yankee Troller said:

The way I would wire the back of that boat is to run both engines off the same cranking battery. The second battery would be considered the "house battery" and most likely s deep cycle. You connect those two batteries with a automatic charging relay (ACR). Blue Sea Systems make them along with a few other manufacturers. When the ACR senses that the cranking battery is getting a charge it opens up the relay to charge the house battery. You would hook your downriggers to the house battery. This way no matter what engine is running a charge is going into the house battery. If the DR's kill the house battery it will not effect your ability to crank over your engines. 

Edit: I may have read your post wrong and both engines are hooked to one cranking battery along with your downriggers. As long as your kicker has an alternator in it you'll be fine to run your downriggers on that cranking battery.

Yes, both motors will have an alternator. Worst case it sounds like I could use the 100ah 12v to start main motor if battery dies and may pick up a portable NOCO jumper like I carry in my car. I just like redundancy, the backcountry hiker in me:-)