Web Design for Fishermen

Photo

Lake Ontario Walleye

9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   nyjason18

nyjason18
  • 2 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 1:28 PM

Since there is good walleye fishing in the St Lawrence river near Lake Ontario how come there is not Walleye near Rochester NY and other parts of Lake Ontario?

Remove Advertisement Sponsored Links   Lake Ontario United

#2 OFFLINE   YodaMage

YodaMage
  • 358 posts
  • Home Port
    Wilson
  • Boat Name
    Line Change

Posted July 16, 2013 - 7:45 PM

I think generally most of Lake O is just not great habitat for them and they also have too much competitive pressure to deal with. Erie is rocky and fairly stable in depth and temp. You also have very little pressure from other apex fish in there, with only a few trout and pretty much no salmon.

Lake O is a mud pit with almost no weed cover as it has a very smooth shoreline with few bays and coves. It gets deep fast for the most part and is subject to major flips, flops, upwellings and other things that make it a rough world for fish that aren't ready and willing to travel LONG distances as need be. Trout and salmon and fine in this world. Walleye, pike and even bass don't love it which is why the population stays much lower outside of the tribs for these fish. Ambush preds tend to pick a spot, with cover, and use it to feed. Lake O doesn't have much cover and no reliable spots.

That is my take.

#3 OFFLINE   nyjason18

nyjason18
  • 2 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 6:36 AM

I love the trout and salmon fishing in Rochester but grew up in Cleveland catching walleye. Recently went fishing in St Lawrence and caught some great walleye. Would be nice to have both right here in Rochester.

#4 OFFLINE   rw6788

rw6788
  • 87 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 9:37 AM

There are some nice walleye in I Bay

#5 OFFLINE   overthelimit

overthelimit
  • 340 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 12:03 PM

Alewifes will destroy a walleye population. After the alewife population declined on Saginaw Bay the walleye population exploded.

#6 OFFLINE   Kevin J Legg

Kevin J Legg
  • 1,119 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 4:17 PM

The Eastern end of the lake has a good number of walleyes and great size. From Oswego to the east there is better structure and with the large population in the Bay of Quinte Ontario there is an exceptional trophy walleye fisheries. Fishing from Henderson Harbor though out the St Lawrence can be very good. I'm sure there are fish through the entire lake as they are caught in the Niagara River, Oswego River, and the Black River. Although it's certainly not Erie potential for fish over 10 lbs. is good.

Edited by Kevin J Legg, July 17, 2013 - 7:20 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   LongLine

LongLine
  • 3,028 posts
  • Home Port
    Genny
  • Boat Name
    LongLine

Posted July 17, 2013 - 5:56 PM

NYjason18 - Quite a few of them in the Genny.  Try talking to Lenny down at the launch. (the sentry)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

#8 OFFLINE   gokudl3

gokudl3
  • 639 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 6:33 PM

I would eat walleye from everywhere but the Rochester area!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app....Doug
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   panfisher

panfisher
  • 921 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 2:22 AM

There r some nice ones caught in the main lake incidentally while seeking salmonids or bass occasionaly. See.....

unexpected catch at Hughes

#10 OFFLINE   Steve.e

Steve.e
  • 79 posts
  • Home Port
    Sandy creek
  • Boat Name
    Reelin and Rockin

Posted August 01, 2013 - 5:58 AM

Gen river walleyes are disgusting. They taste like the river smells up by kodak. It is fun though in may-june up by seth green island. Water gets in the 70's it shuts off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users