-
Posts
9,908 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Store
Everything posted by GAMBLER
-
Sounds like the hub in the prop is going bad. I had the same problem with a 25hp Merc outboard. When the boat was getting on plane, it would do the same thing until it was on plane. Find someone with a spare prop and try that before buying a new prop.
-
Flasher/Files
GAMBLER replied to Chautauqua Tony's topic in Questions About Trout & Salmon Trolling?
Same here. Make sure the swivel you add is a quality one. -
Good weekend for me, but not for my gear
GAMBLER replied to Missdemeanor's topic in Open Lake Discussion
I feel your pain Matt. Our big king Saturday got into my 500 copper and kinked it in 21 places spaced out about 10' apart . Broke off a big laker because of a knick in the leader . It's all part of the fun. -
Fishing Report Your Name / Boat Name:Escape TRIP OVERVIEW ============== Date(s):6/26/10 Time on Water:0530 Weather/Temp:overcast and drizzle Wind Speed/Direction:SW 5 -10 Waves: less than 1' Surface Temp: 67* Location: LAT/LONG (GPS Cords): =============== FISHING RESULTS =============== Total Hits: 28 Total Boated:24 Species Breakdown: Kings, Coho, Steelies and lakers Hot Lure: Gator Glow Stingray Trolling Speed: Down Speed: 2.3 Boat Depth: 220 - 260 (silvers) 100 - 110 (lakers) Lure Depth: 10 -110 down. ==================== SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS ==================== Headed North of the creek and set down in 150. Screen looked awesome right off the bat. I got the third rod in the water and the first one fired with a 5 lb. steelie. As I was rerigging that rod, I had it down 10' and 10' back, and it fired. Quick took the cheater back off and the fight was on. If I had the net in my hand, I could have netted the 8lb. steelie. We were 6 for 9 in the first hour. I did not get a copper rod in the water until 0830 because I was too busy. Everytime I went to let the copper out, a rod would fire. Settled in for the day in the 220 -280 zone. Fish came at all different depths. At 0930, the diver fires pulling a Green Dot Spinnie with an Atommik Green Crinkle fly (275' on a 1) and this fish was not slowing down. After the first run, it stopped at 767. After a long battle, a 25lb. 7 oz king came to the net. Once we had 11 smaller eaters in the cooler and one big guy, we headed in to find some lakers. Fished lakers for an hour and did 5 fish and lost one slob. They were scattered at all different depths. Ended up with 4 kings, 4 coho 11 steelies and 5 lakers. The weird thing about the day was the copper only took 1 fish (a skipper king). Same lures on riggers took fish at the same ballpark depths?
-
Is it starving for fuel or a plugs, distributer, coil or spark plug wire problem? All things to check. If your distributer has corrosion, it can make your engine do funny things. I got a bad tank of gas 4 seasons ago and had carb issues. Mine would run really rough at high speeds. It seemed like it was starving for fuel. Were the filters full of crap?
-
Catch and release tactics?
GAMBLER replied to FLO1919's topic in New York Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (South Shore)
If you were a little taller Ray, you could land them in the back! -
Marine Mechanic Inside boat strage in Oak Orchard area
GAMBLER replied to jsmac51's topic in This Old Boat
Tom Barabara -Pro Marine Services. -
Downrigger/ stacker questions
GAMBLER replied to Gman315's topic in Questions About Trout & Salmon Trolling?
Your chances are good. The Rochester and Sodus areas have been going good since last weekend. The thermalcline is not totally set up yet so fish are still all over the water column. Don't be afraid to run your rigs spread out in the water column. -
Thank god those kids don't look like that guy at the bottom . Nice pics Tom. We all know you pushed someone out of the way to get to that rod with the laker on it.
-
Make sure you get the heat shrink with your order.
-
Easy Has Been. It is his opinion and he is entitled to it. If thats the way he wants to run his team, thats fine with me. He has been a very good competitor in derby fishing. His way works just not for me.
-
Glen, I was talking about the money for entry fees, gas (both to get the boat there and home again and for fishing), and other expenses.
-
I use the Trilene or a Uni knot on the mono side.
-
It is different if you are fun fishing. If everyone is pitching in equal amounts of money (during derbies), they should have a say in what goes on. If I was paying the same amount as the captain and he was calling all the shots that would not fly. If the captain was footing a majority or all of the bill, then he can make all the calls he wants.
-
I would love to see how fast they responded in 6'-8' waves! That much horsepower would do nothing for them. Oops, I forgot, the cuban navy only works on calm days.
-
Buy the materials off the Atommik site and tie the Haywire twist. Simple and holds great. I just switched all of my copper rods over to the haywire.
-
I guess it all depends on what is worked out between the captain and the crew before game time. IMO, it is a TEAM event and all decisions should be made as a TEAM. Take what you learned in the prefish days and make up a game plan that everyone agrees on.
-
Progressive LOC Boat Derby, make it happen in 2011
GAMBLER replied to Patriot's topic in Open Lake Discussion
I say just push the summer derby more and get the prize money up. -
Okuma Magda Pro MA 45DX
GAMBLER replied to Deaf Fisherman's topic in Questions About Trout & Salmon Trolling?
Trap, I'm with you on this one. The convectors are a little better but still have problems. I have had Diawa Sealines for years and they have been awesome reels. I won 2 Convectors a couple years ago at the LOC awards ceremony and sold them and purchases 2 more diawas. -
Thank the terrorists. I understand your gripe but they are just doing their job. Unfortunatly this is going to happen more and more. What port did this happen near?
-
Dave, I think it really sucks that the derby was cancelled BUT, I would have done the same thing if I was in your shoes. No hard feelings here. Guys, Cut Dave some slack. He runs these derbies to make a living. He could not bite the bullet on this one if only 18 boats signed up. Do the math, at most (if all charters registered), the entries would have only covered the first 9 1/2 days. Would your family survive if you had to lose $1,150.00 a day? I know mine would not. If Dave tries this again next year, you can bet I will be signing up.
-
Do yourself a favor and get a marine survey done on the boat. It can save you some headaches in the future. Baha's are good boat but are notorius for stringer rot.
-
Trapjaw, I paid $6,000 2 winters ago. I had the transom, and stringers replaced, new wood in the gunnels, and new foam under the floor for that price.
-
Rob, Give me a call. I can give you Bill Chennels info. He did the stringer and transom job on my boat.
-
Vic, You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. If you need someone to talk to or need anything, you have my number.
