Jump to content

GAMBLER

Professional
  • Posts

    9,908
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by GAMBLER

  1. Put the 4ft boom rigger on acorner and swivel it out to the side of the boat.
  2. Depends on the water temp. Usually start seeing them around 60 - 65 degrees.
  3. I say it would be good dead bait for pike this winter. Too bad VHS law changed that.
  4. If you don't have the releases set up, you can half hitch 2 - 1/16 rubberbeands around the wire and then put the rubberbands around the reel body(not the handle or some rookie will make you very mad when he reels the wire around the reel handle).
  5. I have an idea, seal off the canal and put in a ship transfer station on either side. Ships from Lake Michigan can dump loads on the lake side and barges can dump from the river side. Stuff can by transfered from the Mississippi to the Great Lakes without the carp getting through. This will create jobs and cost less money in the long run (goverment wants to spend millions to control the carp, why not stop them and spend a couple million once not every year.
  6. Sounds like Corporate BS (like in most work places now a days) to me.
  7. I keep the drag so it clicks every once and a while. I have releases made up that keep the wire from clicking out. Once the fish hits, the release falls off. I connect mine to the rod holder so it does not get in the way when you are reeling.
  8. 70 ft - 90 ft from Wautoma to the Nose. They are scattered all the way down the lake. Fish flashers and flies 10 - 20 feet off the bottom or slow the boat down to 1.0 - 1.8 and troll cowbells and peanuts or cowbells and spin-n-glows on the bottom.
  9. There is no need to use a snubber on mono, wire or braid. If you keep your drag right, have quality floro or mono leaders in the correct poundage, there is no need. IMO snubbers = lost fish.
  10. Here it is. Kind of looks like a female atlantic from the photo. One hell of a fish either way.
  11. What was the reasoning Tom?
  12. Dave, Email it from your phone to me at [email protected] and I will post it for you.
  13. I saw the picture on Spoonpullers.com. It is in the South shore reports section if you guys are members there. SLOB.
  14. It might smell like dirty feet Glen.
  15. Can't see the picture. All I see is a red X.
  16. If you are driving that far, I would go just a little further to Olcott or Wilson. The fishing there has been way more consistant for kings, coho and steelies over any other ports on the lake.
  17. Jason, You and your family are in my prayers. I too have lost a parent. It is rough time. To get through it, remember the good times.
  18. Scotty plainer releases. Big sized ones for coppers with flashers and flies and the smaller sized ones for lead and short coppers with spoons. For the big releases, find the double stacker releases and cut the line. All you have to add is a shower curtain hook. This will save you some cash.
  19. Fishing Report Your Name / Boat Name:Escape ============== TRIP OVERVIEW ============== Date(s):5/21 Time on Water: 10 am Weather/Temp: clear / sunny Wind Speed/Direction: ENE 5-10 Waves: 1' Surface Temp: 49* Location: LAT/LONG (GPS Cords): =============== FISHING RESULTS =============== Total Hits: 8 Total Boated:6 Species Breakdown: lakers Hot Lure: cowbell and spin-n-glow Trolling Speed: 1.5 Down Speed: Boat Depth: 85 fow Lure Depth: bottom ==================== SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS ==================== Started the morning off trying a temp break in 85 fow. Had some really nice bait clouds 20-40 down in 85 fow. Turned the boat back twards the creek and the rigger fires with a stinger NBK. Boated a 15lb. laker. Decided to scrap the steelie/king program and do some farming. I rigged the first rigger and sent it down. Started to rig the second rigger and the first rigger fires and it is taking drag. After a 230' intial run, it started to fight like a lake trout. After a nice fight, I put the net under the biggest lake trout taken on the Escape since the fall derby in 2005. Dad had his PB laker at 24lbs . The fish was 37" long. Trolled back to the creek and picked a couple lakers up along the way. Every thing in the boat worked like it should have. Still can't get over how low the water is. It is lower than it was when I pulled my boat last fall Should be back out next weekend.
  20. Ellis, I use canned sweet corn and it works good. You will have to find a good brand. Some brands are not as firm and come off (even on the hair rig). I use Wegmans sweet corn in the can.
  21. I have run my probe on all 4 riggers and it has not made a difference. Either side shuld be fine. I have mine opposite my tranducers.
  22. No. You want a higher quality reel and a diver rod. I woudl suggest Diawa Sealine SGLCA reels and Diawa Heartland 9'6" diver rods. I would spool them with 30lb. Malin wire instead of mono. Wire can get you down 100+' in depth.
  23. Universal line for Lake Ontario - 30lb. main line with a 15lb. or 20lb. floro leader. Back in the day, you could use lighter line. Today we have to deal with sea flees and light line year round is a thing of the past.
×
×
  • Create New...