-
Posts
9,908 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Store
Everything posted by GAMBLER
-
-
This depends greatly on the port you fish, For the most part, 120' is the most consistent depth I have found to catch lakers most of the year. If you are marking them and not catching them, here are a couple tips to try: 1. Slow down - 1.0-1.8 ball speed is the speed for cowbells 2. change direction - some days lakers do not want to chase baits certain directions 3. make sure you are fishing within 5' of the bottom. I don't mean using your line counter to see if you are 5' off the bottom. Due to current and blow back, there are times you have 20-40' of extra cable out to hit bottom. I drop the ball until I hit bottom, lift a foot, let it settle for a minute and repeat. A lot of fish finders (especially Furunos) do not mark bottom hugging lakers well. Zoom in close and lots of times they barely show up. 4. change cowbell and spin n glo colors. I have had days that lakers will only hit on color combo. Here are my simple tips on selecting proper colors: Cloudy/ low light - glow backed cowbells, sunny or bright conditions - silver or UV backed cowbells. As for spin n glo selection, I run mostly glows and silvers. I find bright colors attract too many small lake trout and not many big lake trout. 5. temp - most lakers will be in water from 39-45 degrees. Smaller lakers are found in warmer water more often than the lake trout we want to catch! 6. If you are not using Gambler Rigs and Hammerhead cowbells, you are not fishing, you are boating!
-
-
-
-
-
I was told when they aged our laker scales are not very accurate. Otoliths are the most accurate way. I took the head from our laker after the taxidermist took it off and got it to the DEC. The taxidermist has to be careful not to damage the otoliths when the head is removed. Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
-
I read on Facebook that he plead guilty. Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
-
Sold / Closed Shorelander trailer for 20-22’ boat- No Paperwork
GAMBLER replied to GAMBLER's topic in Classifieds - Buy, Sell, Trade or Rent
-
-
-
-
Sold / Closed Shorelander trailer for 20-22’ boat- No Paperwork
GAMBLER replied to GAMBLER's topic in Classifieds - Buy, Sell, Trade or Rent
-
Sold / Closed Shorelander trailer for 20-22’ boat- No Paperwork
GAMBLER replied to GAMBLER's topic in Classifieds - Buy, Sell, Trade or Rent
-
-
I heard that someone placed very high in the Pro Am yesterday fishing the top 20' of the water column. Kings, coho and steelhead. Are the kings up high plucking the crippled dying 1 year old alewife? If that is the case, we will not see them on electronics and they could be anywhere. This could be why the salmon fishing is slow. We are all fishing below them. Just something to keep in mind. Last August, guys were complaining the kings were missing all over the lake. Once the weather stabilized, the kings showed back up. This year has been a weird year weather wise so far. A Warm winter, warm early spring, then cold and now really warm. Once the thermal cline sets up, I think we will see the fishing rebound. Like stated above, the browns are the only real mystery. Lets hope we are wrong and everything is fine with them.
-
Sold / Closed Shorelander trailer for 20-22’ boat- No Paperwork
GAMBLER replied to GAMBLER's topic in Classifieds - Buy, Sell, Trade or Rent
-
-
-
-
-
This is what Late May / June used to be like in the 90's. The kings will come. The browns are a little more concerning than the kings. The past 3 seasons we have been spoiled. You have to take the good years with the bad years in this fishery. Those that do not will not survive. Tough fishing helps you learn. Take advantage of tough fishing and try new things.
-
Feel free to ask about the past. I'm still young enough to remember!
-
New Youth Deer Hunting Age 12-13, County Opt-In
GAMBLER replied to spinfly's topic in Big / Small Game
-
2012 was the last die off like this. 2012 was also a huge year class.





.jpg.58580fac231f4f1c0cc956c3b1866aec.jpg)


