Jump to content

GAMBLER

Professional
  • Posts

    9,908
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by GAMBLER

  1. The fishing has had its ups and downs but I wouldn't ever say is has deteriorated. The fishing the past 10 years has been some of the best I have seen in 37 years of fishing Lake Ontario. Record catch rates the past couple seasons. This summer wasn't the greatest but I have seen way worse.
  2. Ouch.... I know my good buddies on Sandy will come and rescue me!
  3. I like sending the traffic other places. Its nice when you are the only boat out on weekdays out of Sandy!
  4. A lot has to do with the port. Olcott, Wilson, Oak Orchard, Oswego and the Salmon River have huge numbers of boats fishing during the fall derby. More entrants, the more chances you have of finding a big fish out of that port.
  5. They had some 6.8 western ammo at Runnings in Brockport when I was there Friday for anyone that is looking for it.
  6. Its gotta be global warming.......
  7. Fish them like you fished them in spring. Tributaries mouths are good places to start. Some browns do not run tributaries and stay in the lake too. Right now the water is still too warm and the browns are still where the thermal cline intersects the bottom. Once the lake surface temp gets into the low to mid 60's they will be in around the shoreline in good numbers.
  8. The LOC has made changes time and time again and turned a lot of people off. Taking the steelhead out of the summer derby was a huge mistake. I know a lot of guys that no longer buy a derby pass due to this poor decision.
  9. Not sure yet. 27 tiara open or a Baha 277 GLE are my two favorites. Once the Fall LOC starts, the lake trout gear comes home. NO sense beating them up when the derby doesn't have a division anymore.
  10. Congrats again Billy! Beautiful brown.
  11. Took my son, Keith and His son out for one last shot at placing an LOC fish. We started the morning in 90' looking for kings and had a blast with them until 9am. we took a bunch of matures and two decent browns. 50-65 down on spoons and meat. Not a sniff on flies. The boys started getting bored when the king bite slowed around 9 so we slid in looking for an LOC brown. 12 browns hit the floor in the 2 hours we had left. Biggest brown was a little over 10lbs. Lots of small browns around. I know guys were worried about the lack of small browns this spring but I have caught more small browns this summer than I ever have. 1-5lb browns are plentiful. I would say the 6-9lb class seems to be a little thin. One more trip and the season will be done for us. The Escape is going up for sale and I'm taking a possible buyer out on that last trip.
  12. Take them out carefully. I have seen guys shaking them with pliers until they fall off. Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  13. This photo is more than likely the result of mishandling of a skippy king a couple years ago. This fish was long and lean. Please handle those little guys with care! Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  14. The line for licenses at Runnings was 25 guys deep today.........
  15. I have 300 yds of 30lb Power pro, 7 colors of stealth core and room to spare on my Saltist 40.
  16. It started to and then the wind switched NW. Our Intake temp was 78 yesterday at 3pm. It was 61 when I left at 11pm. Its 59 right now and climbing.
  17. I'm not a fan of the September gun season at all. It will educate some deer and Does will 100% still be with fawns. I'm all for the late holiday hunt and the 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset.
  18. Go offshore and have a blast with steelhead. September can be some of the best steelhead fishing of the year.
  19. I have both my 7 colors on 40's with a full spool of backing. I have my 10's on 50's, 7's and 5's on 40's.
  20. I was fishing it last Thursday evening with a ton of success (Not trout and salmon).
  21. East end kings are running due to water flow! They have received a ton of rain on the East end the past couple of weeks. The Salmon River was raging a couple weeks ago.
  22. This time of the year (late August) I find bigger browns will be in 62-70 degree water. As for structure, deep points and shoals (which the oak doesn't have a lot of) are keys to finding numbers and bigger browns. If you look East of the Oak, Devils Nose, Wautoma Shoals and Braddocks Point are some of the best deep water structure areas on the entire South shore. I also find slower speeds (1.8-2.2mph at probe) with Stinger Standard, Stingrays and mags work best for me. Free sliders and cheaters will take a ton of big browns at this time of the year. Those big hooks you see up off the bottom in piss warm water are usually big browns. Big browns seem to stray from the normal Thermal cline bottom intersection area more this time of year than any other. If the weather is stable, they will load up in the thermal cline/ bottom intersection. If the thermal cline is like it usually is in August (unstable), they move slightly off the zone. I have caught a lot of big browns fishing kings up high not too far from the thermal cline intersection. For example, 2019 in the fall LOC, we placed a brown fishing kings in 110' on a high diver. We fished the early morning in 60' for browns and caught a bunch but not many good ones. We took 4 browns late that morning up high fishing kings in that 100'-110'.
  23. Amazing what happens when the alewife disappear and they don't have to deal with the thiamine deficiency.
  24. The Canal in Brockport, Spencerport, Greece and Fairport are all great for carp. Corn on the bottom with light floro leaders. I take my son every summer and we catch a bunch every trip.
  25. There should be representation from every port, trib with a sustainable guide population and fishing related businesses that thrive off of the fishery. Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
×
×
  • Create New...